Tank stands in loft-space? (Now with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting two water tanks (additional to my water cylinder) in my loft space to run a new power shower. I knocked up a tank stand directly on to the cross beams (Collar beams see pic) that run across my loft at waist height.
Roof_6.gif

Is it worth me adding some additional props to add strength to the stand?
I.e. from the Collar beams down to the joists?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Why not get a structual eng to advise, take away all the problems when you come to selling.

Diyisfun said:
Why not get a structual eng to advise

Cost.

I have decided to go ahead with adding some extra upright props to add more strength - better safe than sorry! :rolleyes:

False economy, when you go sell it, I bet you have cost & time to consider then.

Sponsored Links
Why not put the water tank on the ceiling level unless the cylinder is in the loft as well :?:

masona said:
Why not put the water tank on the ceiling level unless the cylinder is in the loft as well :?:

masona - the Water Cylinder is in a cupboard in the spare room below.
I do not have a lot of space to play with in my loft so any stand structure would have to include the collar beams anyway. Also I was told by the Central Heating Engineer who is carrying out the work that the higher the water tanks are in the loft, the better.

Diyisfun - can't see any reason why a Structural Engineer would be required - unless you know something I don't?

I will see if I can take a pic of the tank stand & get it posted on here to help explain what I have done.

All depends on whether the roof rafters are designed to take the additional point load from the water tank at their mid span.

Was there originally a water tank there, or is there a similar arragement on another of the rafters. If not you might find the lower portion of the rafter will deflect out and will effectively be trying to push the walls out at the top.

What would you prop the collar beam back to? the ceiling joists?

Post a picture and the structural engineers on the forum will be able to comment.

Kilgore said:
masona said:

masona - the Water Cylinder is in a cupboard in the spare room below.
I do not have a lot of space to play with in my loft so any stand structure would have to include the collar beams anyway. Also I was told by the Central Heating Engineer who is carrying out the work that the higher the water tanks are in the loft, the better.
In theory but not if you're going have a power pump shower.

Kilgore said:
["]

Diyisfun - can't see any reason why a Structural Engineer would be required - unless you know something I don't?

My thorts were that you would be putting stress, where stress was not designed to be originally & when you go to move on a survey may question it. If he goes in the loft.
BYTW My tank has been raised to the max height it could go in the loft but it is all off from the joists not the roof.

As promised pics of the tank stand I have made in my loft - sorry about the size!

I fixed 5 timbers across the cross beams (collar beams) & then boarded over them - see pics 1 & 2. The brickwork in the middle is a central chimney stack which I built the stand around.
I then added 4 timber props (cross beam down to joists) to add further support.

I would welcome any opinions or thoughts - thanks.

Work102004.jpg

Work102002.jpg

Work102003.jpg

Work102006.jpg

Are the upright supports resting on the bearing wall and not just the ceiling joists? Couldn't quite see.

The upright supports are secured to the joists that sit directly above the bearing walls below. I was pleased with this as I felt that no weight would be on joists that run over bedroom ceilings - also it seems to me that the weight is shared between the cross beams and the joists below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back