DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Shared Guttering Who Is Responsible ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Roofing and Guttering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolo

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote

I have a semi-detatched house there is rain down pipe that myself and my neighbough share. If you have a look at this link http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-13450634.rsp?pa_n=2&tr_t=buy its a picture of same style of house as mine, the down pipe we share is the one that drains the rain water off the roof, in the middle between the two houses
at the front, who owns this or is it shared ?

Im finding in heavy rain the water is not going down the pipe but poring off the roof galley down the wall, the tray thing to catch the water doesnt seem flush to the wall, plus its iron and has lots of leaks, its causing a damp patch on the ceiling of first floor front room in the corner nearest the down pipe.

Im in Pinner, Middlesex if anyone fancies giving me a quote, Im around this weekend and Monday throughout the day
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote

Rolo wrote:
who owns this or is it shared ?

I would've thought both of you to share the cost.

You may have a slight blockage in the downpipe, a drain rod or a garden hose from the top with running water to flush it out, if there's no problem then will need a bigger downpipe and hopper such as 110mm to cope with the large amount of rain water
 Alert Moderators
Rolo

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote

Had someone out to look at it, he said yes it was blocked, he said he would unblock it, and paint the hopper thing insome seleant stuff to stop the leaks. I thought ok thats not to bad, 1hrs work max, cant be more than 50 - 75, but he quoted me 200 then when I questioned it 150 icon_eek.gif. Are roofers really that expensive icon_question.gif This is north London / middlesex area.
 Alert Moderators
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote

It may not be blocked but who knows icon_question.gif It could be the hopper is cracked or a leaking joint. A bit difficult to see high up.

How do they know it's blocked icon_question.gif
 Alert Moderators
Nige F

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote

looks like you`re right in Ladder gang territory icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif Rogue traders too.........plumbers do the downpipes , I`d do you a nice ali one that looks as good as the cast .....but I`m in Sussex icon_cry.gif
 Alert Moderators
Rolo

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Well he said he did the work without me agreeing and it was 150, got home and looks like he has done nothing. He left me his business card, interesting to note he live on a private road in a house that could not of cost anything less than 1 million.

Anyway I can look up rouge traders searched his company name on google and found nothing.

His business card lists the companies name but I checked it out and its not listed at Companies House, I take it any search firm would have to be registered as a limited ?
 Alert Moderators
Nige F

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote

well, he`s stopped travelling then icon_eek.gif if he`s got a house.....you, sir have been had icon_cry.gif sorry but it`s a classic.
 Alert Moderators
Rolo

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote

I aint paid him yet though, he has to come round for money for first, my ladder gets delievered tomorrow so I will be able to go up and have a look myself.

Hate it these days you cant trust anyone, gives honest traders a bad name.
 Alert Moderators
mnb

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote

rolo, if it's leaking on your side then it's leaking on your neighbours side too - approach them to share the costs.
IN A 1920 - 30'S property the cast iron will be ready for relacement but i would imagine your trouble is most likely coming from the lead flashings and shute into the hopper head.
If this has been going on for some time there is a possibility of fungus/wet rot damage to the underlying timbers, lifting the flashing will give some indications.
If you go up on a ladder then have someone foot it until you tie it in at the top, dont work off a "loose" ladder.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Roofing and Guttering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: