Netgear wireless router connection problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have got a netgear wireless router, supplied through Sky broadband, However I seem to be having problems connecting it.
I recently installed a Realtek RTL8185 54M wireless LAN network adaptor in the PCI slot and windows picks this up.
After phoning Sky they put me onto the netgear settings website to try and configure my connection but windows just searches and it doesn't connect.
Any thoughts would be appreciated as i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this :oops:

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you search the forum, you should find quite a few threads covering this.

A few general pointers

Turn off all firewall or Internet security software

Setup the router first, using a wired connection. Don't enable any wireless encryption. Change the SSID on the router to something other than the default. Don't hide the SSID yet. Save any changes you make and reboot the router.

Your wireless adaptor should have come with a utility for creating wireless profiles. It's difficult to provide details because they are all different, but it should let you scan for networks and you should be able to find the one with your SSID and try and connect.

Once you get it running, you will need to return to the router and switch on encryption, but it's probably best to cover that once you have it running.

Like Igorian says it is better with a wired network for setting it up. Is it a DG384G router? If you go to explorer and enter 192.168.0.1 it should fetch up the login screen, from here enter username as admin and password as password to enter the router setup screen.

Thanks for your replies i will have a go again and failing that have a search, Cheers, John

Sponsored Links
I almost exclusively recomend netgear (i baught about 12 of them in the last few months for different people). There helpdesk staff are second to none, they will guide you through and check everything to help you get it working.

Back