Is my test fit for purpose please experts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just brought a tester from HONG KONG via ebay, the tester does readings from 200ohms to 2000Mohms, is this sufficient for carrying out testing, or should I have one that reads on the 20Ohm scale?

I paid next to nothing for it so i'm not to worried

Sponsored Links
Hi oharaf,

Please wait for the experts, but maybe when testing the Ze of a TT, etc, 'system' the meter might not be capable of giving you the value, ???
To be honest, not sure about this.
Cheers.

What testing are you trying to do Oharaf

Whats the make and model of your tester - sound like a multimeter

Difficult to know what its capabilities without knowing more details, make model etc....

What measurements do you want to do with this equipment: 16th edition? Did it come with a calibration certificate? If I read OP correctly: the equipment is not capable of measuring <200ohms? Does it comply with EN-61557.

~rlc

Sponsored Links
Rob it is a multimeter, I want it for college mainly as they only give out 3 on a day and I spend alot of time waiting about, it simply to do Con, Ins and Pol testing.

It is an XIOLE XL830L

Not heard of that brand, also if the resistance range is from 200 to 2M then its no good for continuity unless its got a beeper continuity test function that goes from 0 up. and If its a multimeter as you say it wont test Instulation resistance.
To be honest if your training its better to use a proper 16th edition tester provided by the college as they will be calibrated and have all the funcitons you need for carrying our a PIR.

Depends if you want seperates or all in one. I use a Fluke 1653 all in one but they are expensive £650+
Megger are a good meter, and so are Martindale

try the following they provide a good serveice and calibration http://www.instrotech.com/

Or try the wholesalers William Wilsons or CEF. Theres plenty of choice out there.

oharaf said:
I have just brought a tester from HONG KONG via ebay, the tester does readings from 200ohms to 2000Mohms, is this sufficient for carrying out testing, or should I have one that reads on the 20Ohm scale?

I paid next to nothing for it so i'm not to worried

Can you post a link to the product so we can see what it is you have brought? As an educated guess it sounds like an insulation resistance tester with a 200ohm continuity range.

At this address you'll find it and here is the spec below

Thanks for your help

http://www.cubic-mall.com/bbe/MAS830L02.jpg

Model No.
XL830L

DC Voltage
200m/2V±0.5%, 20/200/600V±0.8%

AC Voltage
200/600V±1.5%

DC Current
200?/2m/20mA±1.0%, 200mA±2.0%, 10A±3.0%

Resistance
200/2K/20K/200K/2M?±1.0%

hFE
0~1000

Count display

Operating Temperature
-0C to 40C (relative humidity <85%)

Storage Temperature
-10C to 50C (relative humidity <85%)

Guaranteed precision Temperature
23+_5C (relative humidity <85%)

Automatic display of negative polarity
"_" Low Battery Indication: - /+ display

Continuity beeper
Yes

Full overload protection
Yes

Backlight
Yes

Data hold
Yes

Size
138 x 69 x 31mm

Fuse protection
F-200mA/250V (O5x20MM)

Battery
9V (Including)

The link doesn't work, says forbidden.
From the spec it is just a multimeter, it is suitable for doing simple tasks like measuring voltage and resistance. I don't know how good the test leads are, I certainly wouldn't advise you to use it for current. It isn't an installation tester which people were posting about above.

Resistance
200/2K/20K/200K/2M?±1.0%

means 5 ranges of resistance

0 to 200,
0 to 2000
0 to 20,000
0 to 200,000
0 to 2,000,000 2M

The 0 to 200 will not provide accurate measurement of the 0.1 to 5 ohm needed for loop measurement as those values are similar to the zero error of the device

The 2 MegOhm range is not much use for proper testing of insulation resistance because it is putting less than 9 volts onto the circuit on test.

RobFurn said:

But only if you enjoy paying them commission which they then spend on luxury items like personalised number plates.

I once bought 10 x 10mm M4 brass panhead screws, and they wanted 40p for each screw...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back