DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Replacing Tiled Window Sill with a Window Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
comfortably_numb

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote

I have this bright idea of replacing the window tiles for window boards, Being the novice i am, i ring local merchants & tell him what i'm doing & can he supply the boards, no rpoblem he says pop down & i'll cut to size.

I proceed to remove the tiles & i am left with a bare window sill with 2 cut outs at the bootom of each reveal (i'm hoping this makes ense to someone). I pop down & pick up the boards, get them home & find they are an inch less in depth & also to thick to fit into the reveal "cut outs" either end.

Am i missing something here ?? because the shop didnt mention that the boards come in different depths & do i use the reveal "cut outs" .. if not, how do i get the boards to overlap each end ??
The window board also has a lip ... what is this for ??

Any advice i would be greateful for
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote

window boards should be cut 80- 100mm wider than the reveals to show 40-50mm past each reveal. these small returns should have their edges planed and sanded the same as the front bull nose to match.

m.d.f. pre primed boards can be sold in up to 5m lengths, and in widths of 225mm and 300mm. the 300mm wide board will deal with most wall cavity sizes. they are 25mm thick.

the machined tongue at the back edge of the window board would slot into a re-bated groove machined into timber windows only. upvc windows do not have this groove.

if the window board sits too high on the window then remove some of the material below and re-plaster the sill. you will also need to chase in the window board a little, into the reveal plaster. it always looks better if you skim the window board in.
 Alert Moderators
comfortably_numb

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote

thankyou
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: