Baxi Solo - Pilot light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently replaced my expansion vessel after the system kept on losing pressure,since replacing vessel system worked fine but now the pilot light keeps going out, suspect its going out before or when it fires up first thing in the morning...I re-ignite it only for the same routine next morning! Is this a thermocouple problem? Still a novice, any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I did not know that there was a permanent pilot light Solo model.

If there really is then it might well be the thermocouple but can be several other causes as well.

Tony

Agile said:
I did not know that there was a permanent pilot light Solo model.
If there really is then it might well be the thermocouple but can be several other causes as well.
Tony

Solo RS!

Could this be as a result of me changing the vessel,can it be linked to low or high pressure?

Sponsored Links
Gastel said:
Could this be as a result of me changing the vessel,can it be linked to low or high pressure?

Unlikely!
Exactly what model Solo have you got?

Its a Baxi Solo RS.....the pilot is still going out due to the overheat sensor tripping out, Ive re-set it....lowered the pressure and turned the stat down on boiler, kinda stumped as to what course of action to take next? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gastel said:
the pilot is still going out due to the overheat sensor tripping out, .

Why didn't you 'mention' this before?

Have you opened all valves?

You may have air in the system, the bypass may be inadequate, the pump/overrun may be faulty, the stats may be faulty!

Iv'e only just noticed, there is no warning light just a re-set button...oops.
Don't think there's air, bled all rads and pump. All valves are open, now you mention the bypass, there is a 15mm gate valve which was leaking and is now in the closed (stopped leak) position, i'm sure this is the bypass...what position should this be? And what purpose does this serve, still a novice so sorry if this seems i'm dumber than dumb!

Solo RS

BYPASS REQUIREMENTS

The boiler is fitted with a pump overrun device which allows the removal of residual heat from the boiler. NOTE: The pump overrun will operate for approximately 3 minutes. The system design must therefore always provide an open circuit for water to circulate between the boiler flow and return.
If a system has an open circuit a bypass is not required.
A system using a 3 port diverter valve does not normally require a bypass and therefore this system is recommended. The exception to this is where all radiators in the system are fitted with thermostatic valves, in which case a bypass would be required. However, if one radiator in such a system was fitted with 2 lockshield valves a bypass would not be required.
A system controlled by non-electrical valves e.g. mechanical thermostatic control valves both on the radiators and the hot water circuit and systems using twin zone valves (e.g. Honeywell 'S' Plan) will require a bypass.
The bypass circuit can be:-

A) A minimum of 9 metres of 22mm pipe (measured between the boiler flow and return connections). It should be fitted with a lockshield valve opened at least 1 full turn to give a minimum flow rate of 8 litres/min (1.8 gal/min).

B) A radiator fitted with lockshield valves. The radiator output should be a minimum of 800 watts (2,700 Btu/h). Typically a convector type radiator with an area of 3750 cm2 (4ft2) is adequate.

C) By including an automatic bypass valve in the system.

D) Any circuit that provides the same operating conditions as option A or option B.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back