Removing scratches from glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few light scratches on the glass face of my watch, which I would like to try and polish out. It is quite an expensive watch, so I do not want to do anything which could damage it futher.

There are no gouges as such, just a few light scraches from general wear tear. (I don't wear it for work)

Does anyone know a clever way to do this, or is it time for a trip to the local jewelers shop?

Sponsored Links
You need a product called ' Polywatch ' which is a paste to polish out scratches. It works really well.

Available here

Thanks for the link, but that seems to be for plastic 'glass'

My watch has a real glass face.

Sponsored Links
Most polishing compounds from an autospares place will do. Makes it loads quicker to fit a pad to a detail sander or a dremel type tool.

If its an expencive watch, pop down to your local jewlers, they will be able to help you best as they will be able to see the entent of damange, it might be they can offer you a replacement front.

Recently had a problem with sratches on a halogen cooker hob.

Bought one of those expensive glass polishing kits - which proved pretty ineffective!

What does work is various grades of very fine emery paper to bottom out the scratch - and then using Rustins steel wool grade 0000, with jewellers rouge available from Cannings AA (final finishing grade), or even rubbing a very fine oil stone with the steel wool and polishing with that.

I used a pad of steel wool taped to a drill attatchment rather than proper polishing pads - seemed to work just as well.

Watch out for heat build up on the glass though!

Brasso on a few sheets of A4 paper on a flat surface, use a figure of eight movement, while holding watch face downwards, do not use polishing bobs held in a dremmel or similar, you will end up with local hollows.

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back