Replacing a 2 gang dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently trying to replace a 2 gang dimmer switch. I made (i thought!) a careful note of where the wires should go (there are three red wires: one went to the c terminal of the second gang, one to the first gang L2, the final one to the second gang L2 terminal, with a further red wire linking the L2 terminals on each gang) but when I tested it one of the lights switches on and off fine, but the other stays on all the time!

I've compared it to another 2 gang switch in my house, but that one has 4 red wires, with a different red wire attached to the c terminal on each gang, so I can't wire it up in the same way. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that the link wire didn't connect the two [C] terminals?

And do you have anything (e.g. meter) that will enable you to identify which is the permanent live?

Thanks Ban - connecting the two C terminals has solved it! Your help is much appreciated.
PS Excuse my ignorance, but if I'd wired up the live wire to a L2 rather than C terminal would this be a problem/ would it still work ok/be safe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back