Leaking Elbow Joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having to fit a new thermostatic Shower Valve but I can't stop it leaking.

The Shower Valve has an internal thread in the main body. There is an adapter (reducer?) that screws into the main body, which in turn has a 90 degree elbow which screws into it. My main problem is that when screwed in fully the elbow is pointing in the wrong direction and I have to loosen it off. This is the case for both hot and cold water. I have tried copious amounts of PTFE tape on it's own, PTFE + silicone sealant and even PTFE + Epoxy Putty but nothing seems to stop the leaks. The one thing I thought would leak, the elbows to the pipes, is absolutely perfect! Should I get new elbows and reducers, or is there something else that can be done?

Many Thanks

Michael

Sponsored Links
Try some Pipe Seal Cord from screwfix (item 42142). It can be backed off and worked a treat on my towel rad.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just wanted to say thanks to jono for the tip. That pipe seal cord is awesome and I now have a working shower.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back