Wiring Centre for CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody have a schematic for wiring the following system to a 16 or a 12 contact wiring centre? I don't have a programmer just a plug in timer that works on the HW and CH simultaneously, I have an Ideal Mexico Slimline boiler, Honeywell cylinder stat, Drayton room stat, 3-way motorised valve and a Grundfos Selectra pump.
I'd appreciate a colour schematic or easy to follow wiring diagram, what I'm saying is it really does have to be an idiot's guide!! :confused: I'm having particular problems figuring out the wiring of the room stat and cylinder stat.
Many thanks for what ever help you can offer. :)

Sponsored Links
you asked the SAME question before here you didn't understand the wiring then, you also agreed it was a good idea to get some one in, you said Yeah you're right!

From your last post:
I have been struggling for the best part of a fortnight to re-wire my central heating system to a new 16 Terminal Drayton LWC1 Wiring Centre, each time I think I've got the configuration of the wiring correct I plug the Central Heating back in, switch and immediately blow the plugs 3 amp fuse! Most times I don't even have to switch the plug socket on, it just blows!!

Don't bother, you look after people with mental problems, let people who look after heating do their bit.

Hang on a minute! I thought this site was called "DIYnot"? Should it be renamed "DI Why? - when you can get somebody else to do it for you", or "DIY? - don't be silly you couldn't possibly do it, get a professional to do it for you". I thought the whole reason for this site was to access help and guidance with DIY projects?
I'm not totally niaive and stupid (as your reply would suggest) when it comes to electric wiring, I did a brief aprenticeship in electrical engineering many years ago. All I need is the information I requested to jog my memory and point me in the right direction, don't worry if I disappear in a puff of blue smoke and plunge my neighbourhood into darkness I won't hold you responsible!!
I'm sorry but your attitude stinks.

Sponsored Links
but you are the one who said in my case BIY = Botch It Yourself

some jobs are not for the diy person, this is one of them, just because you did not get the answer you wanted in the first place there is no need to throw your toys out of your pram

I'll agree with Breezer 100%.

Your post gives the total lack of knowlege message.

There are plenty of 'Y' & 'S' plan wiring diagrams about which any body with a basic knowledge of electricity could follow.

You carried out a brief aprenticeship in electrical engineering how brief?? 24 hours?

Went to sort out a DIY job Friday. He moved three motorised valves and did a bit of plumbing, including trying to use an Arison unvented cylinder as a vented one!

Most of his plumbing joints wer leaking but back to the electricals. His problem was fuse kept blowing when he switched his handywork on again.

Cause of problem? Broken motorised valve with top part flapping about loose.

It would have been cheaper to have called me to carry out the original work particually when the labour and cost of materials - including motorised valve, Kingfisher PCB and Kingfisher integral time programmer - was added up.

Alan

BTW - not sure that this was the best time of year to choose to mess about with your CH when you're unsure of what to do.

Better than Jan/Feb, I grant you, but not much, and nowhere near as good as June/July.

Piltdown Man,

I can't provide a colour schematic, but the following sketch may help.

timer.gif

NB If your room thermostat has an anticipator/accelerator (a heating element that reduces the thermostat's hysteresis) then a neutral connection will be required to the thermostat.

The wiring process may be made easier if you common the earth wires together and common the neutral wires together first (using the terminals respectively allocated within the wiring centre), before starting on any of the switched live connections in the sketch above.

If you later replace the timer with a programmer, the wiring should be modified thus:
yplan.gif

I've got a Bosch Worcester combi boiler with a wireless (rebadged Drayton) programmer/room stat.

No wires.

No motorised valves.

No cylinder stat (on account of no cylinder)

It all works just fine.

What am I missing by not having all the complicated stuff?

Can I have my toys back? :oops:
I'm on a "waitng list" (they're very familiar to me!!) for a central heating engineer - 4 to 5 weeks!! Cheers :D

Thanks to CH4 for the schematics, unfortunately it seems you,ve wasted your time in going to all that trouble as apparantly I'm too THICK to understand them! I really have got a chip on my shoulder haven't I?!!
Still, it is appreciated and I'm sure I'll find some use for them. Many thanks. :D

Piltdown Man said:
I really have got a chip on my shoulder haven't I?!!
So what's wrong with that - it can be a great motivator. The surest way to get me to do something is for somebody to tell me I can't.

Until you've wired a traditional central heating system , at least once, it can seem daunting. In reality, it's quite a simple task. This may be the reason why some have been a bit short with you (they've obviously forgotten their own first attempt). Some students, on the central heating course that I did (NVQ3 gas), got through buckets of 3 amp fuses while practising on Honeywell wiring boards.

Anyway, if you decide to continue with the wiring and have any specific queries then just ask. I will try to give coherent answers - if I can!

Best of luck.

Thanks for your encouragement CH4, I know what the others are driving at when they say it's too big a job, and it is daunting and I do have a bucket full of 3 amp fuses. There are only so many permutations I can do with the wiring before I hit the right one!
Between now and the time I see the whites of the CH engineer's eyes I'm still going to "have a go!" - what's it all about if you don't "Do it Yourself"?!! Thanks again.

CH4 said:
Until you've wired a traditional central heating system , at least once, it can seem daunting. In reality, it's quite a simple task. This may be the reason why some have been a bit short with you (they've obviously forgotten their own first attempt). Some students, on the central heating course that I did (NVQ3 gas), got through buckets of 3 amp fuses while practising on Honeywell wiring boards.

You did well if we ever tried to fire a system at college without prelim electrical checks the s&*t really hit the fan ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back