Sds drill impact force

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have seen a bosch sds-plus drill for 63 quid with 2 chisels and 3 bits. The model is a 2000 RE and the impact force is shown as 1.5 joules. This doesn't seem a lot compared to some of the more expensive models with 2 or 2.5 joules but what does this mean in laymans terms. It is only to replace my hammer drill for general diy and some drilling through to outside walls. Is this adequate or should I be looking for a more powerful model. Thanks

Sponsored Links
i have had a bosch blue (blue-pro, green-diy) for at lest six years, and by heck, it's had some stick. everything is still sound mechanically and i haven't even had to replace the brushes, yet.

we not only use it for fixing but also as a demolition aid. when knocking out for doorways and openings, we tend to stitch drill and bolster out.

can't imagine how many holes we've drilled with it, but it sure looks battered to bu**ery.

clutch is good, power excellent and percussion is good too.

Had a look at the case on this drill and notice that it never mentioned a safety clutch. Should I take it that it will have one or do some not have them. I've heard they can cause a nasty kick if they stick and haven't got a safety clutch.

Not sure what other considerations there are to take into account apart from the impact energy and power, My Delwat 005 24V SDS rates at 2 Joules and it doesnt have give it some.

Sponsored Links
soaringjock said:
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=SDS%20Hammer%20Drills&product=14035

a good tool m but it doesnt have rotation stop so you cant chisel with it - the HR2450 is the better tool
(bear in mind that bosch do a equivilant at a similar price but with a 3 year warrenty)

I bought the Black & Decker equivelent from Argos a few months back. Used it for pretty much the same purpose: general diy and ****ting holes in walls. Standing up perfectly and it does have a safety clutch. Got it for £65 ish incl a good set of bits.

I've had a Bosch SDS for nearly 20 years - and I just can't kill it. Still works like new.

The black & decker is an old Dewalt design, great drill, for good money.

The joules rating is how hard they hit, if you are only drilling holes and light chipping, it will just take slightly longer to do the same job. Kind of like Tyson or Nasim hitting you, either way eventually you will fall over, its just how quick!! If you are taking on a bigger job though, like Ali for instance, you will need at least tyson to have half a chance. (hope that made sense)

Bosch invented SDS, their drills are good workhorses, but they still use relatively old technology. If you want the best it will have to be Hilti or Dewalt. If you are buying bosch, makita or Metabo you will not go far wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back