Wiring a 3a cooker hood to a 45a cooker switch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading through the forums and can see a couple of similar posts but nothing addressing exactly what I want to do...please help!

I have one of those cooker switches which has a single socket built into it. The cooker switch itself has a 45a fuse at the consumer unit.
I want to fit a new cooker hood/extractor. It needs only 3amps so obviously I COULD fit a 3amp plug and then plug it in...simple

The problem with that is

a) the flex running down the wall could melt
b) it looks ugly and even if i chase the flex into the wall I would have to bring it out again before reaching the plug

What I want to know is... can I just fit a cooker switch that has 3a FCU built into it and run the cooker hood from it? Do they even sell these?

This seems almost like a silly question.... as If I can plug the thing in then whats the difference?

However reading these forums their have been some arguements about even taking a spur (technical a leg of the radial) from a cooker point. Also talk about needing to use 6mm rather than 2.5mm.

If they sell the cooker switches with sockets built into them how can there be any chance of it being dangerous to have a socket from a cooker circuit?

Thanks in advance

:D

Sponsored Links
Im sure someone will be along soon on this, but if it was me, id run the cooker hood off the kitched ring mains and not form the actual Oven feed...

im sure there is some regs you need to follow regarding continuose cable sizes from apliances... iw 6mm cooker then spured off with 2.5mm doesnt sound healthy....

I may be wrong, but ...

You need to use a cable that is rated to, or exceeds the CPD.

That could feed a spur, and then from the outgoing terminals of the spur you could wire in 1.0mm² to the hood.

Sponsored Links
yes the cooker switch has a cooker wired up to it at the moment.

As I have explained it is one of those cooker switches that has an integral socket built into it as well (like this one http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=23484&ts=49728)

All I am wondering is why if its fine to plug my extractor into this socket using a normal 3a plug, but it's NOT fine to replace the cooker switch with a different one that has a fused connection unit built into it?

I cannot see why this is different?

I must be missing something....are the cooker switches with the sockets in them dangerous?[/url]

Can you provide a pointer to a cooker control unit with a FCU built in? I'm not saying you can't get them, but I can't find any.

Well thats just it.... I cannot find any either!

The forums seem to indicate its considered bad practice to wire anything from a dedicated cooker radial but that does not answer my query which is why would a cooker switch with a integral FCU be dangerous or different to a CCU with a socket?

I just want to be able to run the extractor/hood with the wires buried into the wall. An earlier post suggested just wiring an FCU into my regular ring main but due to the layout of the kitchen this would be more hassle.

There must be hundreds of kitchens out there will cooker switches with sockets on them and I bet people plug their cooker hoods into them.

Do you think I may have found a gap in the market?

But if you put a plug in the cooker switch socket then the plug has its own fuse, so it doesn't need an FCU??

Why don't you take a spur out of the cooker switch into a separate FCU and feed the hood off off that?

Or am I missing your point?

Great forum btw!

ub7rm said:
But if you put a plug in the cooker switch socket then the plug has its own fuse, so it doesn't need an FCU??

Or am I missing your point?

Yes. Where does the cable/flex go once it leaves the plugtop? Over the hob top en route to the hood. :confused:

is there anything suggesting that you couldnt supply a s/f/spur off the cooker switch? using the same cable size obviously and just bury the cable in the wall up to the appliance.

davelx said:
Can you provide a pointer to a cooker control unit with a FCU built in? I'm not saying you can't get them, but I can't find any.

ccuspur.jpg

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back