Electric Shower - possible pressure issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an electric shower in my 1st floor flat. It is a gainsborough 8.5kw shower . The shower is run from the mains water. The pressure in my bath is quite good, but not quite as powerful as the kitchen next door which is very strong.

During the summer the shower is always far to hot and is mostly un-useable. In the winter the temperature is better (but still never flows out to even close to cold).

The output is usually no more than a trickle and any time of year.

I am looking for some advice as to what I can do about this. Would a more powerful shower be the answer and if so do I need to look for any special features?

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem in my parents house. Even on the coldest setting it was too hot at full power, so i used to turn it to half power. Not sure if its any help - but maybe a temporary solution until you get a new one.

The case is probably that the heating element is too big for the water flow -so al;l the heat goes into a small ammount of water. A smaller kW shower would probably be the solution - no doubt someone here will be able to clarify.

A higher rated shower will actually make things worse. As Maxxy said, the energy passing from the element into the water is fixed. It is the flow that dictates the temperature of the water.

During the summer the incoming water temperature is higher but since the heat transfer from the element is fixed the result is hotter water. If you want a cooler shower in the summer get a lower rated shower or increase the water pressure some how.

Davy

Think you may have a plumbing problem rather than an electrical one.

Sponsored Links
jj4091 said:
Think you may have a plumbing problem rather than an electrical one.

I was thinking the same - are you sure you've taken the supply from the rising main?
:confused:

sounds like somethings blocked to me, maybe just the head needs cleaning. im not sure tho i dont have an electric shower

counting, do you have a cold water storage tank within the flat? Is there a chance the shower could be fed off this?

The inlet to the shower may be scaled up. The pipework in the shower might be scaled up. The shower head might be gunked up inside. Is the flow ok?

When the variable temperature dial is turned round to cold, the flow should be huge, very powerful, and the water should be very cold, even with the power setting on full.

Thanks for all your advice.

I am pretty sure the shower is connected to the mains as there is not a cold water tank in the flat, but I will check if there is possibly one in the loft feeding the flats, just in case there has been some dodgy plumbing.

The shower head is new as I replaced it just in case.

From what I believe I can't fit a pump to a mains water supply.

Does anyone know of any other solutions to this problem???

re-pipe off the bath cold supply?

do electric showers have an internal pump? if so could it be the prob?

Might sound sully, but could the shower hose between the unit and the head be f3cked?

The hose is always a weak spot and can become over twisted, kinked etc.

To test the shower re: water feed, turn on the sink tap (which is mains fed) then turn on the shower, if you see a drop in pressure at the sink you know the shower is mains fed.

Another thing would be to check any water isolation units on the shower feed and make sure they are fully open, rather than half which would again give lower pressure.

some showers have a small internal filter than can get clogged up with tiny debris such as solder from plumbing, limescale or some other little piece of crap. See if its got one and check to make sure its clean. It sounds more like a pressure plumbing problem to me. Especially if there's barely more than a trickle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back