Wall mounted support for a beam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Easier to show than explain.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=484745

I made that this afternoon after I only found metal and wire plans on google. Can anyone here point me to some existing plans for something similar or comment on my sketch?

In particular will the triangular arrangement keep its shape with the 3 bolts or would I need 2 at each join or some screws and glue?

I'm also wondering if the support frame was above the bench whether it would be stronger or weaker?

Thanks,

Alex

Sponsored Links
It seems way over engineered to me.

What is wrong with a simple gallows bracket arrangment?

What is it supposed to be supporting?

Possibly, this is a continuation of my last thread which explains why I need something strong.

Basically the bench was going to be wall to wall, 10 feet long, 3 feet deep, but it can't touch the floor at any point and my bed will go underneath it. Though it will be shorter now, somewhere between 7 and 5 feet long

Can't you stick an 3" angle through each end of the wall instead?

I'm still not sure what you're doing exactly.

A photo or drawing plan will help me :D

Sponsored Links
room5vz.jpg

masona said:
What is above the room? loft?

he just has shelves above masona ;)

i still think a varyation of my suggestion on the other thread is the way to go :rolleyes:

big-all said:
ok several new thoughts on this one

your bed needs to be narrower than the top to allow your legs to go underneath

personaly i think a top about 5ft long [this would only overlap the bed by a foot or so] with a leg on the outside corner you could then support it with 4by1" underneath as the supporting edge

you could then sit in a position with a normal chair in the 4ft space and the end off the bed as a second position

this will also free up the space immediatly above the bed appart from the foor or so at the bottom

Masona: It's a flat roof I'm afraid, isn't doable :) How easy is it to craft a solid gallows from scratch? Do I have to use mortise joints?

Big-All: The trouble is still the floor, which sinks as deep as 1 or 2 inches along the line 3 feet from the wall. The area of sunken chipboard is too wide to be the gap between 2 joists, however the ceiling below was perfectly flat so I settled for the 2nd floor of 9mm chipboard to cover the sunken area. Do you think that was a mistake? :D How easy is it to fix a sunken joist?

alex79 said:
Masona: It's a flat roof I'm afraid,
Ahh, I was thinking of a hanging method using heavy duty chains from the roof area.

sunken joist wont make any difference you just cut your support accordingly

although if its sagging because of weight it wont help
have any walls been removed underneath or badly installed lintols put in!!

in general 2" is normaly decay or subsidence its way to much for settlement unless well away from a wall [underneath hence the question]

- Yeah I remembered it from changing rooms - Handy Andy did an indoor swing with steel wire :)

- Room has nothing like big-all said, plain 2 level extension.. By support did big-all mean a "foot" underneath the leg? I didn't want that, but it would be easier...

ok what i am saying is if your worried about the floor taking what is a normal load then the floor should checked /replaced /repaired as nessisery to bring it up to standard
if your worried about a leg going through a board it should be investigated before you use the room !!!!!!

if your worried about spreading the load then you need to apply the same principle to the bed as well and any heavy furniture with legs

Ok you've convinced me to get it checked out thanks :D

I'm still thinking along these lines for another room - is it possible to wall mount a bed with gallows brackets? How many and what size wood?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back