How the heck does my toilet work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
A newbie here. Sorry, I go on a bit in this one!!!

My toilet is a really old Twyfords Unitas 310. I don't really want to replace it as it looks really nice and goes well with the original wide sink and bath that we also have.

Just before Xmas my toilet became difficult to flush, my self diagnosis was a split cistern diaphram.
I thought this would be a good opportunity to replace the whole cistern workings with a push button system. Got all the bits, and set to work on Christmas eve morning.

Everything seemed to go really well, it all fitted back together, and after an hour or so it was all put back, and the water switched back on.
Waited for the cistern to fill and pressed the button for the maiden flush. Didn't work. The water drained out of the cistern into the bowl, which then filled up to the rim and then drained away V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y!!!!! It was just like the toilet was blocked, which it wasn't.

Tried adjusting the water level, but it seemed to make no difference whether really full or not much in. I must have done a hundred flushes, and it probably only flushed properly about half a dozen times intermitantly. Anyway, in the end after much messing about I ended up getting a new diaphram and putting the old syphon system back in which now works perfectly.

Why didn't the push button flapper system work with my old toilet. The bumph on the packaging said that it was compatible with all toilet systems.

What I did notice, and I think this is probably the key area, is that the syphon didn't just feed into the toilet bowl like a normal toilet. Just below the cistern joint there is a metal pipe, which contains what looks like a 'torpedo' facing up, with a rubber seal on the bottom end. The rubber seal bungs up a half inch hole which feeds into the top loop of the s-bend. It's really difficult to explain, but if you've ever seen one in the flesh you'll know exactly what I'm going on about. I'm guessing this is some sort of dual syphon thing that opens up the hole and feeds some water into the s-bend to trigger the syphon effect and then closes up directing the water into the bowl to flush properly.
It's all a bit unusual.

Can anyone throw any light on the workings of my toilet?
Thanks for listening!

Mike.

Sponsored Links
You have a syphonic WC. These are very good and quiet, but your one flushes in a different way.

I don't know what you should do with it. I wouldn't swap it for a new one in your position - I don't think they're obtainable any more, and used to be very expensive.

Someone will probably know, or you could contact the manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back