extending cables to new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move the consumer unit from its current location, but the ring mains, lighting cables, etc, will be about 2 metres short. I have had 2 electritians in & both stated different ways of moving the consumer unit.
the first guy said he would use choc blocks or junction boxes to extend the cables and connect with new cable to the consumer unit.
The other guy wants to pull up floor boards and re-wire to the last connection. This sounds the most professional way to do it, but it is the most expesive way...by a long shot.
Is it ok to extend the cables with choc blocks or junction boxes? this guy is much cheaper!

Sponsored Links
If the terminals are accessable for inspection and testing then they are OK, however the fewer terminals in an installation the better.

thanks for the speedy reply!
so i dont need to be pulling up floor boards for the electritian...this should save a lot of time & money.
the junctions will be behind a kitchen cupboard. If a "door" is made in the back of this cupboard they presumably would be accessable. what would the choc blocks need to be covered with?

Basically the joint box method is ok, but rewiring each circuit back to the first point is a much, much better way to do things.

Strip connectors, if in some sort of enclosure are just OK but are really pushing it.

You get what you pay for.

Personally I would joint out the cables only as a last resort.

Sponsored Links
looks like i'll be pulling up the floor boards then!
want to get it right...not just a "make do" job.
thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back