Dimmer Blown ...????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help...? :?:

My kids were messing with the dimmer switch turning it on and off...on and off....

The lights blew and one of the bulbs (one of 3) snapped right in half...
When I tripped the switch in the garage and replaced the broken bulb the lights still would not come on.

I\\\'ve tried replacing the whole light with just a plain old ceiling rose.. and still it will not come on.

Is there any chance that it is the Dimmer switch...? Its just a plain old cheapish one from B&Q...

ps...this house although only 8 yrs old seems to eat bulbs.... I think I\\\'m keeping B&Q in business....!!

Any advice would be great...

Sponsored Links
cheapo dimmers can not handle the amount of current when a lamp blows, you need a new dimmer.

but to prove it change it to a on/off switch (but do note what goes where)

Thanks for the quick reply......
So it sounds like the dimmer switch then. I really do hope you're right. I'm totally starting to "lose the rag"..... Not even sure If I've wired up my ceiling rose right now. I wish I hadnt taken down the light now. I just assumed that it would be the light and not the switch...

Thanks

ps...I might be back asking exactly how to wire the light again... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back