installing a power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have electric heating in my flat and want to install a power shower. I have a hot water tank, but I was under the impression I need a cold water tank as well. Is this true or can I connect the cold feed directly to the mains?

Sponsored Links
You can not pump mains water Illegal.

You could quite possibly have a combined hot and cold water tank

What does the tank look like?

I always fit a cold water tank with equal capacity to the hot water cylinder and use it solely for the power shower.

Just checked and it looks like the cold mains plugs into the hotwater tank (economy 7 type immersion tank), but just before it, there is a t-connector from which a pipe runs directly to my electric shower. So I would assume from this that the mains connects directly to this shower. I thought that an electric shower pumped from pure cold mains water, but a power shower adding extra performance because it didn't need to heat the water 'on-the-fly', rather taking the hot water from a tank. Is it just that the pump is drawing water at too fast a rate, or just plain illegal :) ?

If so, I have a loft, so I guess I could run the cold feed up there to a cold water tank and bring it back down.

Sponsored Links
What about having mains cold and a single impellor pump for the hot? You would need a valve to regulate the cold to make sure the pressures are about equal.

Now for those peaceful 5 minutes before I have 25 plumbers telling me off :D

An electric shower just heats mains water, you can get a pumped one but its for a tank.

Pumping mains water is illegal. If everyone in your town pumped there mains water then the water board pumping stations would over run and burn out. (something like that anyway)

if you have mains hot water going into your hot tank then you either have a sealed system or a dual tank (fortec type).

does the water enter at the top of the tank if yes there should be a lid you can lift and ball valve inside.

Is there anything written on the tank itself the make, capacitys, etc.

I don't think mains water pressure would do much for the pump either!

What I was thinking was, if you take a single impellor pump (not a twin) and just pump the gravity-fed hot, would that not bring it up to a similar flow rate and pressure as mains water? And thus allow use of a mixer shower with mains cold + pumped hot.

Just in case anyone thinks I was suggesting pumping mains cold (although nothing I wrote would suggest that!)

Taydo, the only label on the side of the immersion heater is harton heating supplies, it's about 3 foot high (seems rather big for 2 people!?!?) The water enters the top of tank, with what seems like a small reservoir at the top and to one side. Adam, seems like a nice easier way of increasing the hotwater pressure, the cold is already pretty fierce! Would this automatically kick in when there is water flow? Thanks everyone for your help on this.

I have a hot water tank, but I was under the impression I need a cold water tank as well.
With the HWS system that you have described this is the only feasible solution due to the litres required for a power shower.

The alternative, and in my opinion a better option, would be via an unvented HWS system.

Consider the expense of installing an additional cold water storage tank, and a decent twin impellor pump against the more expensive unvented HWS system, (assuming cold water mains pressure and flow rate suitable).

Hi,

Reading through the notes , I think I can add my thoughts since I am just in the process of doing the same thing. After considering the different options, only two things that can be done is

Installing Cold water storage tank and feed from this directly to the twin impeller pump. Pump work with same head from both sources and will work better. I.e. no scolding/freezing sessions.

or

install a new closed/unvented HWS. this will however mean that your pipes has to be pressure tested for the mains pressure. You will also still experience temp differences due to the timelag between pressure drop in the cold water feed and the feed from your pressurised immerser.

I would not from a mechanical engineering point of view recomend to fit a single impeller pump to feed the HW and then mix with the main pressurised CW. This might work, it migh not, and you will be relying on the Mains pressure being stable, which it never is in my neck of the woods. So if I tried I would get a very variable temperature and flow out.

Just a quick one - can anybody give me a definitive answer to this.

Does a "power shower" have to have both hot and cold feed?

I think it does, but my friendly B&Q staff say no, the power shower contains both kettle and pump inside the same unit. Why then is the wattage (7.5kw, 8.5kw, etc) never quoted on Power Showers?

I am replacing my old shower and have gravity cold feed only, and 6mm electrical cable, therefore, when buying a replacement, I think I will have to stick to a maximum of 8.5kw ordinary electric shower.

Can anybody shed any light?

thanks

Thank you.

Yes, the "knowledgeable" B&Q staff were telling the porkies. The lady also explained the difference between Manual and Thermostatic showers, and then pointed out a "manual" shower - which had "thermostatic" written across the front! Bless them!

I am just going to replace it with a standard 8.5kw electric shower. All I have to do now is match the u-bend to the existing waste pipe, which is neither the standard 32mm nor the 40mm diameter, but somewhere in between :(

Oh the joys of DIY - I'd get somebody in to do it for me, but then I'd never get the opportunity to swear loudly or throw hammers around!

PS are you REALLY in Afghanistan, Kev??

kevplumb said:
8.5 kw is an electric shower
yes a power shower reqs both hot and cold feed

somebody is tekking you porkies :LOL:

And why does the manual of my power shower state - "Works directly off the cold water mains supply only". And that's how its installed - cold water only.

You don't have to take my word for it, check www.diy.com and search for Essentials 10.8 electric shower. Or Mira Sport electric shower, or...

:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back