Myson Housewarmer 55 Electronic back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This boiler is about 13 years old and has been very reliable until now. It ignites first time, stays on for about 5 minutes then switches off even if it has not reached the correct temperature then tries to relight. Striker has numerous attempts to relight but either fails to light or lights after about six attempts. It then goes off again. Had new gas valve fitted a couple of months ago, cleaned out and tried new heating system programmer but hasn't worked. Any ideas? Could it be a faulty boiler thermostat or perhaps the ignition control box? Help!!

Sponsored Links
It probably goes off after 5 mins because of insufficient system flow rate.

The failure to ignite may be a lack of servicing or an incorrectly set up gas valve?

Was the valve fitted by a competent CORGI engineer ??

Presumably not as you dont seem in a hurry to call him back.

If he failed to set it up properly then you could report him to CORGI and claim back the costs of setting it up through the County Court. Dont accept inadequate work.

Tony

Thanks for your reply. The boiler is serviced regularly once a year and has been for the last 12 years.

We are far from being reluctant to call out the CORGI engineer but just wondered if anyone else had had the same problem or knew what the problem was for when we ring him again tomorrow morning. The valve was fitted by a very competent CORGI engineer who came out to see us only on Friday regarding the problem. The boiler seemed to be working ok when he left it on Friday.

Thanks

Servicing on a back boiler takes more than an hour if its being done properly !

Sponsored Links
I can't remember saying how long it took the engineer to service the boiler!! In fact it did take him over an hour.

Thanks

You may well have a partially blocked or worn pilot injector. As it warms up it gets smaller and is coming away from the electrode possibly maybe faulty electrode. Not sending the correct signal back to control box...

To service a boiler properly takes as long as it takes an individual engineer to strip,clean and reassemble the boiler carrying out all the relevant safety checks wether this is a half hour or an hour and a half.

I had exactly this fault on exactly this boiler about 3 weeks back. It turned out to be the Ignition lead/flame sensing lead breaking down. I replaced it and it has worked spot on since.

Thanks very much for your replies. I will pass this info onto the CORGI engineer and see how it goes. I'll post another message to let you know how it went.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back