radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new boiler fitted a potterton 50He I have also had all new radiators fitted.I have had the system flushed and all new trv v/v fitted to the radiators. However I have two radiators up stairs that refuse to get hot. All the down stairs rads are ok and the towel rad in the bathroom is ok as is the rad in the master bedroom but the other two up stairs will not get hot. can some body help me please? :cry:

Sponsored Links
get the lads who installed it to come back and set the system up correctly

I am amazed at how many people come on this site to ask what they should do with a brand new system that aint working and never seem to think to get the chaps they gave they hard earned to do the job back to do it right???

Thanks for the reply but I have had the guys back and on the second visit flushed the system again, still the same. He then proposed to ripe the floor up in the bedroomsand the landing as he thought it was a blockage. i must stress that the system was OK before we had the work done. I now have no confidence in the guy so I ether get some one else to look at it or try to fix the fault myself with your assistence. Please let me know what you thing and the best way forward? :cry:

Turn off the working rads and see if the others work any better.

Sponsored Links
well, assuming that the pipework to these rads has not neen changed/flattened etc, then I would keep draining water off the farthest one until you get hot water, could be some time too. It is out the loop and needs coaxing back into the hot water loop.
I had this once on one rad, and I drained off a bucket ful before it got hot. worked thereafter.
I am not a plumber ,or an expert on the thermodynamics of water,, so cannot give reasons for this to happen, but it did work for me.

Tommer said:
Please let me know what you thing and the best way forward? :cry:
It is tricky to advice you Tommer, because your starting point is a non-functional system. Remote diagnosis of component faults is relatively easy, whereas diagnosis of installation faults, where they might be under the floor, is nigh impossible without personal attendance.

If I were a punter in your position, then I'd start getting heavy with the installer.

Start by writing a polite letter, setting out the functional state of the system resulting from his work. Point out that he's been paid, and that you believe that rectifying the problems is his responsibility. Avoid all emotional or emotive words, e.g. "disappointed", "fed up", etc.

Most people will react to a letter like that, but even if he doesn't respond that you've created the basis of litigation in the future, in case you have to pay someone else to sort it out.

Returning to technicalities, if you've shut all other rad valves, and the system is on, and the two rads remain cold, then either there's a blockage in the pipework or the rad valves are not open.

Iangh,

Thanks will give this a go this evening after work and will let you know the out come tomorrow. But any other surggestion will be greatly received on the of chance this will not work?

iangh said:
It is out the loop and needs coaxing back into the hot water loop.
Coaxing? WTF?

I had this once on one rad, and I drained off a bucket ful before it got hot. worked thereafter.
I am not a plumber ,or an expert on the thermodynamics of water,, so cannot give reasons for this to happen, but it did work for me.
It's bleeding simple - you had a blockage and you cleared it.

Kevplumb,

Not very constructive mate can we be a bit more positive so I can fix my problem thanks in advance. :cry:

kevplumb said:
jeez soft you never done that ;)

you open the rad valve and wave a teabag in front of it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
LMAO.

I can't see a teabag doing anything, but I can believe that a double chocolate coated Hob Nob might well persuade hot water to go anywhere you want. :D

but I can believe that a double chocolate coated Hob Nob might well persuade hot water to go anywhere you want.

but be warned, them feckers could soak your system dry....

Tommer said:
Kevplumb,

Not very constructive mate can we be a bit more positive so I can fix my problem thanks in advance. :cry:

OK you want constructive advice

get the installer back (at his cost) cos he has dropped a *******

you make sure it works BEFORE you pay all my customers do :rolleyes:

kevplumb,

Thanks for the advise,

I have tried to contact the guy today with no luck will keep on trying but in the mean time i am trying to solve the problem any way I can and your help would be gratefully appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back