Alpha 240P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler fires up for 20-30secs then switches off and then fires up again. It does this continually.On/off on/off all the time. This happens with both hot water and central heating. Any ideas on what is causing this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i had this problem a while back and it turned out to be the temperature sensor located just inside the boiler,in a pipe,there are two i think one for the hot water and one for the central heating,i'm not a plumber but remember the engineer telling me about it,it used to happen even if the tap wasn't open!

yeah sounds like it could be NTC thermistor. also could be worth checking the fan assembley and aps. I have had a few that got clogged up with dirt and needed cleaning out causing the aps to not make/work. Also ive had a few where the silicone tubing from fan to aps had gone hard and brittle causing the same problem.

Sponsored Links
ACOperson said:
Fan venturi

this is what i meant. seems to be a common problem especially when the ones like i had been looking at, that have not been serviced for approx 8 years. seemed to be a realiable boiler upto now but to be expected really.

20 - 30 seconds is a bit slow for the average aps :confused:
How long does it stay off before it has another go at lighting? Couple of seconds? Half an hour??

ChrisR said:
20 - 30 seconds is a bit slow for the average aps :confused:
How long does it stay off before it has another go at lighting? Couple of seconds? Half an hour??

does the orange light on the front with a picture of a chimmney and a fan on it light up when there is a demand. Then once the light is lit up it should go out and the boiler should light. If this light remains lit then it is more than likely the APS or Fan venturi.

My Alpha 240P has exactly the same snag, it lights and heats either DHW or CH but then the fan orange light goes on for approx 30 sec (when fan light goes on boiler stops heating) once fan light goes out the boiler starts to heat again. This happens again and again until I stop attempting to have a shower/get hot water for a bath.

I have some visible signs of a v slow leak around the DHW temp sensor and the flue is not sealed all that well, not to mention it's a bit mucky inside and the DHW flow switch is slow to get the boiler going (that's probably a separate fault).

The plumber recommended to us is taking a while to ring back (busy time of year me thinks!), any quick ideas to help me have a shower that stays hot for more than 30 secs?

Ps Can anyone recommend any good plumbers without too long a waiting list in the Dorchester area?

Just get a good Alpha engineer.

Orange light is often a sign it needs a good clean up top, DHW thermistor leak is a 5 minute fix, slow DHW startup could be just a diaphragm (10 min job).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back