Plastered wall - Finishing Touches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've plastered a small wall (as much as I'm able to do with out pulling my hair out) and I've sanded it down. The wall is due to be papered (lining) but I would love to hear the best tips for finishing the wall off, i.e. a coat of paint first, with PVA?

Sponsored Links
Multifinish said:
wallpaper is out mate, skimmed walls painted are in

I hate wallpaper. I also hate ugly walls. Skimming will always be the best option. However, I'm skilled enough to prep and paper but not skim. And considering skimming means paying more money i don't have when I have certain skills I can use, that's the way I'll go. I'm just after tips and advice as I'm not a professional.

As for paper being out, have you been in any new builds recently? There's more blown wallpaper going up than plaster! But thanks for taking the time to comment.

in fact i have just had my plater on the phone saying he has finished our next room to decorate,

The first room i tried wicks professional paint watered down, it worked but to be honest the following coats of dulux white didn`t stick well and the colour on top again seems to not be quite stuck. plaster was definatly dry so plan to try PVA 1/5 water as a base coat on the second room, worked well in a bit in the kitchen which was bare plaster when we bought the house.

anyone else got feelings on this?? whats the Dulux basecoat stuff like, seems that will do with a 20% extra water.

Sponsored Links
papers in in new homes as its cheap and quick, our smallest bedroom which is 8x8 approx has been £200 for a full skim including the ceiling, which looked like some sort of crazy paving, also bricked up a huge vent that needed filling and channeld in the lighting cables, he supplied everything so its an all in price, plus our ceiling is curved. i thinks is a good price for a great finish!

Just give it a coat of thinned out paste and allow it to dry before you start papering

serge33 said:
papers in in new homes as its cheap and quick, our smallest bedroom which is 8x8 approx has been £200 for a full skim including the ceiling, which looked like some sort of crazy paving, also bricked up a huge vent that needed filling and channeld in the lighting cables, he supplied everything so its an all in price, plus our ceiling is curved. i thinks is a good price for a great finish!
damned right that`s a good price ....Polish Plasterer :?:that`s E. European, not polished like your trouser seat ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back