Hotpoint WMA30: stalling at start of cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our WMA30 is stalling at the start of the cycle, regardless of the cycle chosen.

It fills and sounds like it's going through the cycle for a bit, but the drum just sits there and makes a few groaning noises. Then it drains and does nothing more. It's drawing hot and cold water OK and draining OK when it decides to.

I can't get it to do anything useful. No rinse, spin, wash - nothing! The laundry pile is getting bigger by the minute.

Can't afford an engineer or a new washer so any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

EDIT:

Tried turning off the hot feed and could hear a low hum when I opened the drawer. That has stopped and now the option lights show: Door Locked (solid); Prewash (flashing); Wash (solid).

Sponsored Links
I do not think this is a diy job from your description of the symptoms. It may be at best a reset of the eeprom this is a part of the electronic pcb which tells the programmer which part of the program to, and in what order to execute the next operation. At the worst it is a replacement pcb but in both cases it will need to be a white goods tech to carry out repair.

tockworth said:
I do not think this is a diy job from your description of the symptoms. It may be at best a reset of the eeprom this is a part of the electronic pcb which tells the programmer which part of the program to, and in what order to execute the next operation. At the worst it is a replacement pcb but in both cases it will need to be a white goods tech to carry out repair.

I was starting to think this way to be honest - it does seem really confused. Looks like a new machine then. I can't keep asking my dad to put our washing in his and he's moving back to Northumberland in a couple of weeks anyway. Oh well, the new bike will have to wait.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi, you may have fixed it by now, but that is definetley a bushes problem. You can buy them on ebay for £3-£5 . easy to fit . 20 years service at Hotpoint has finally come in handy.

Sponsored Links
Hi mjan2002
My experience with servicing hotpoint machines is nothing like as long as yours but I was thinking the hotpoint wma 30 was the electronic machine with the far more reliable bosch type bottom mounting motor which is a far more reliable motor than the top mounting, but a lot more difficult to access. Is the old memory failing me.

WMA models.
Prone to breaking wiring to the motor, normally at the front where it's tied to the drum.
Check the carbons in the motor first, then check the wiring for breakages.
The flashing lights (error code) could have been generated by you turning off the water supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back