Connecting wires upto light fitting (picture added) Edited*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a circular fluorescent tube in the bathroom, I have changed the starter and the tube, and it still flickers, so I went to TLC and and they recommended me a choke, something like this.

FGCK40.jpg

The guy in TLC thinks that the one he is ordering will not have the connections for the existing connector, so I am going to cut the connector off and have bare wires.

There will be 2 wires, 1 for the tube and 1 for the electrics, can you tell me which wire will go in which part of the new fitting.

Collecting choke tommorow, not sure if it will be exactly the same as in the image.

light%20fitting%200004.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Err - the replacement ballast you have ordered has 2 connections. 1 is labelled L, the other is labelled Lamp, and there is also a handy little diagram on it.

If you really can't follow that, then you should probably be replacing your entire light, not trying to fix it.....

ban-all-sheds said:
Err - the replacement ballast you have ordered has 2 connections. 1 is labelled L, the other is labelled Lamp, and there is also a handy little diagram on it.

If you really can't follow that, then you should probably be replacing your entire light, not trying to fix it.....

Erm, Im not sure if that is the exact one he has ordered.
And I am checking on here, just to be on the safe side, nothing better than peace of mind.

light%20fitting%200004.jpg

Now this is what I call a mess! But well done for including a photo!

Sponsored Links
BR said:
Now this is what I call a mess! But well done for including a photo!

explain, mess :?:

Im asking for help, not to be poked fun at.

That manky looking connector on the left - does it plug onto the ballast, or screw onto something? Just wondering why there is a wire coming out of one terminal but not the other....

ban-all-sheds said:
That manky looking connector on the left - does it plug onto the ballast, or screw onto something? Just wondering why there is a wire coming out of one terminal but not the other....

It plugs in, when I seperated it from the ballast, one piece was left in there, Im not planning to use the connector, Im going to cut the wires, and hopefully connect the wires into the new ballast.

Should be straightforward, if the wires are long enough and you can fit the new ballast inside the body of the light.

I hate to say this, but the "connector" that you took from the old ballast is not supposed to be removed from it...that is why one piece broke off.

If you look at it closely, you will see one cable from the Live connector going into the ballast, that needs to be connected to the live in the new unit, whether it is labeled Live or 1.

The second white cable links to the starter, this needs to go into terminal 2 of the new ballast

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back