Wall Preparation for papering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am hanging Anaglypta Superdurable on dry lined walls using lap paste (10-11 pints per bag).

Walls appear to have builders initial emulsion coat on the boards and were sized.

Wall is absorbing water from the paste very quickly giving almost no time to position and very little time to trim (it is a hall landing with 13 doors and about 24 corners!

Never had the problem before - what am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Was the builders initial emulsion coat chalky/porous prior to sizing ? What did you use to size walls ? Is the drylining ames taped or plastered ?

Was the builders initial emulsion coat chalky (no)/porous(yes) prior to sizing ? What did you use to size walls(Wilkinsons own - used it before without problems) ? Is the drylining ames taped or plastered (Dry lining not fully plastereds - tapered boards with only joins done)

I have never used Wilkinsons Brand stuff. So i can't comment on there goods. The thing that is obvious, is the water is being sucked out of the paste to quickly. Seems to me that the cheapest of the cheapest emulsion has been used over the drylined walls and then the size you used coud'nt cope with the high suction. What i would have done to size the walls in these circumstances is apply one coat of Dulux Trade Vinyl Soft Sheen and left that to cure for at least 72 hours before hanging or i would have applied one coat of Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt mixed with 25% PVA and 25% Water. However, the thing that is unknown is how any coatings will react to the Wilkinsons Brand stuff. Also, does the Anaglypta Superdurable Instructions give there advice for preparing surfaces ? NB Your paste could be mixed to thin.............Heating from other rooms can be making walls dry the paste to quickly..............

Sponsored Links
Size too thin...paste too thin and I wouldn't use starch paste over the contract emulsion, it has an awful reaction..it'll be off in no time.

Go Third_eye's way or.....get some decent glue size and use Solvite , or better still, a ready mixed paste.

Its a dodgy one this..

Ive papered over contract emulsion, nightmare, escislly on the points where the ames and tape is.

A coat of thinned down PVA might do it too...but id be tempted to give the walls a coat of thinned dulux stain block...then line em

Id go for ready mixed paste too..lap is very good but the stratch in it could soften the emulsion.

Been in the house three years and have used the same combination in other rooms, no paper come off - yet. Some has been on 2 1/2 years.

It did happen to us in another house - paste was fine but paint peeled off the plaster!

Went better last night - must have mixed this bucket of paste thicker. Will try thicker paste for the rest - as it is a pack of paste just hangs 1 1/4 rolls! Next room will get the Emulsion/PVA/Water mix first.

The Zinsser product looks good but expensive at £9 / litre - hanging about 10 rolls so I presume it will take a few tins to cover!

Wallpaper instructions are a series of pictures - nothing about how thick to mix the paste, the paste is mixed thicker than the lap instructions and have used this combination before but not for about 4 years (have been hanging blown vinyls but they are not durable enough for a hall)

Remember "IJWS15" that these recomendation sums of how many rolls can be hung per bag of paste, is UPTO !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back