cracked ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed polystyrene tiles from my bedroom ceiling to find that the plasterboard underneath is cracked in several places. I have removed most of the glue although there is some residue left. I have some Pollycell Smoothover for textured ceilings and I would like to know if this would be suitable to use and how difficult it will be to get a smooth surface or should I give up and use a textured paint instead?

There are some holes at the edge of the plasterboard and I have read that I can fill these with scrunched up paper dipped in a weak solution of plaster before using patching plaster to cover it over, dous this sound right?

I have also removed all the old wallpaper and would like to know if I need to paint the old plaster before I repaper it or not.

I would really appreciate any advice,

thanks,

Yvonne

Sponsored Links
Me personally would get in an plasterer first (costs money i know). Any chance of pic of the holes at the edge of the gyproc ? Also, your question, "I have also removed all the old wallpaper and would like to know if I need to paint the old plaster before I repaper it or not." is a hard question to answer cos it all depends on the instructions of the finish paper. As some wallpapers allow the background shades of walls to show through the wallcovering etc........

You could try taking a sharp chiesel to the bit of glue that are left behind.

As for the crack you could paste a strip of paper joint tape over it fill over it with easi-fil (i wouldnt use smooth over its a bit pricy

Then once you have rubbed it down..paper the ceiling with blown vinyl

As for the walls..you dont normally have to paint them unless as 'third' said its a particular colour etc..or they may need a primer sealer over them for some reason.

Otherwise, have you thought about lining them?..its the ideap surface to paper on.

Third_Eye said:
Me personally would get in an plasterer first (costs money i know). Any chance of pic of the holes at the edge of the gyproc ? Also, your question, "I have also removed all the old wallpaper and would like to know if I need to paint the old plaster before I repaper it or not." is a hard question to answer cos it all depends on the instructions of the finish paper. As some wallpapers allow the background shades of walls to show through the wallcovering etc........

Think you may be right hiring a plasterer may be cheaper in long run.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:
You could try taking a sharp chiesel to the bit of glue that are left behind.

As for the crack you could paste a strip of paper joint tape over it fill over it with easi-fil (i wouldnt use smooth over its a bit pricy

Then once you have rubbed it down..paper the ceiling with blown vinyl

As for the walls..you dont normally have to paint them unless as 'third' said its a particular colour etc..or they may need a primer sealer over them for some reason.

Otherwise, have you thought about lining them?..its the ideap surface to paper on.

Think papering a ceiling is a little beyond my skills! Thanks for taking the time to reply tho.

Just to check: Is it definitely plasterboard? And are the cracks at the joints of the boards?

Pre-war houses have a different sort of construction, get a different sort of crack, and need a different approach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back