shower cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If i fit a 8.5kw shower with a 10 metre run to consumer unit would a 6mm cable be ok or would i nedd a 10mm cable.

Sponsored Links
6mm^2 twin and earth will be sufficient for a 37A load providing it isn't subject to other derating factors (high ambient temperatures, running through insulation in walls/lofts, grouping factors etc.)

Let us know how you intend to install the cable and then we can verify if 6mm^2 will be ok. It might be worth using 10mm^2 cable regardless though so if you decide to upgrade the shower in the future you don't need to rip out the old.

Davy

6mm² will be fine on a 40Amp mcb as long as the cable doesn't follow a route through thermal insulation and is not grouped with other cables
Are you aware that this work is notifiable to your local building control under Part P of the building regs?
Most manufacturers recommend the use of a 30mA RCD to protect the circuit also and I second this as will the majority of sparks on here.
Is your local supplementary bonding up to scratch?

10mm will mean you dont have to do it again when you put a more powerfull shower in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help,what is a supplementary bonding?and why do i have to notify building control.
I shall only be laying the cables during the building stage of an en-suite,i sghall get a competant electrician to do the clever bits at the end with rcd,etc.

breca said:
I shall only be laying the cables during the building stage of an en-suite,i sghall get a competant electrician to do the clever bits at the end with rcd,etc.

In that case don't worry about supplementary bonding and don't worry about building control - your electrician will sort all that for you.

You are very close to the limit of 6mm^2 cable. If I were you I'd put in 10mm^2 just for future proofing.

Davy

davy_owen_88 said:
don't worry about building control - your electrician will sort all that for you.

Davy

So make sure he is registered and able to certify his work regarding Part P ;)

All this Part p nonsense thank god i don't do houses ! although i do get worried by the occasional diy-er asking how to rewire a house!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back