dimmer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a 3 gang lighting swirch with a 3 gang dimmer. The old wiring had 5 black wires wound together and thr switches wired up only with red wires; taking this over to the dimmer is proving problematical! I have tried most combinations but no joy; Presume the common red goes to the variable, single reds to L2...but have 4 black to contend with and three holes...any advice? thanks!

Sponsored Links
how was it wired before, and waht were theold switch markings, and what are the new swithc markings

old markings were top: common, L1, L2, common. Bottom: L1, L2, common, L1, L2
New has three dimmer modules each with: ~, L2, L1 plus an earth on the faceplate

Sponsored Links
...so it should be OK to leave the black/neutral wires wound together and not connected to the dimmer?

yes.

why would you want to use the blacks if they were not used before?

That's a very good point but I'd tried everything else and thought that...well never mind!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With blacks wound together and live looped to ~ I get on elight on but won't dim when red connected to L2; other lights won't work in L2 or L1 in respective dimmers but each will work in L2 of first dinmmer in loop. Might have blown other two dimmers?

If you connected the dimmers to any black wires and energised it, you almost certainly will have damaged the dimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back