hot water storage cylinder leaking intermittently ??????????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a hot water storage cylinder which resides in my bathroom in a cabinet it seems to be leaking water intermittently sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't I cant seeem to work out why, to add to this theres water coming out the overflow pipe outside the house as well I know the bulb needs changing cos its very old could this be related and the reason why its doing this sometimes and sometimes not.

appreciate your help.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a hot water storage cylinder which resides in my bathroom in a cabinet it seems to be leaking water intermittently sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't I cant seeem to work out why,

cos it has a leak :idea:

to add to this theres water coming out the overflow pipe outside the house as well

check the ballvalve in the header tank :idea:

I know the bulb needs changing cos its very old could this be related and the reason why its doing this sometimes and sometimes not.

only if the water is frightened of the dark :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Water coming from the overflow pipe is often because the ball valve needs replacing. Do this first.

If the cylinder has a leak then most likely it needs to be replaced. Quite likely if you disturb it it will start to leak a lot more. Sorry. Pull the insulation back and see if you can find where the leak is coming from. There will be marks of green corrosion or dried limescale. But please don't try to move or poke any leaking part. Meanwhile ask round your friends and neighbours for a recommended local plumber.

kev, if theres any unhelpful suggestions to be made, can you leave them to me

cheers mate. ;) :D

Sponsored Links
I wonder if Wilhelm has had a problem with an Ariston he fitted and knows Neil?

JohnD said:
Water coming from the overflow pipe is often because the ball valve needs replacing. Do this first.

If the cylinder has a leak then most likely it needs to be replaced. Quite likely if you disturb it it will start to leak a lot more. Sorry. Pull the insulation back and see if you can find where the leak is coming from. There will be marks of green corrosion or dried limescale. But please don't try to move or poke any leaking part. Meanwhile ask round your friends and neighbours for a recommended local plumber.

I think u may be right heres a few pics

the 1st shows the wet patch on the right of the tank at the bottom

wetpatch.jpg

2nd one is the top of the pipe its wet and there is green stuff all down it

wetattop.jpg

3rd one is the middle bit again theres green stuff on it

greencorrosion.jpg

same with the last one

green.jpg

so if its coming from the top pipe is the tank it sits in overflowing ?.

I'm thinking its a poorly connected overflow pipe, (the grey plastic pipe) this will explain why its intermittant, as the leak only occours when the overflow is 'leaking' which is usually after a period of non-usage of the water system, change the float valve and hopefully you will be alrite!

bster said:
I'm thinking its a poorly connected overflow pipe, (the grey plastic pipe) this will explain why its intermittant, as the leak only occours when the overflow is 'leaking' which is usually after a period of non-usage of the water system, change the float valve and hopefully you will be alrite!

yeh thats what im thinking i will change it tomorrow and have a good snoop around see if theres anything else thats loose or corroded or whatever

......also glue the overflow pipe connections together so they dont leak again ;) (if they are in fact the cause of the leak)

That looks good! If it is only a leaking pipe it will be a lot cheaper than a leaking cylinder!

When you think you've fixed it, clean up the pipes with a green nylon pan-scourer and a bit of fairy liquid, polish off, then you will be able to see if it still leaks as the deposits will be obvious on your clean bright pipes.

Slugbabydotcom said:
I know the bulb needs changing cos its very old
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: WTF has a bulb got to do with a leaking ballvalve and overflow pipe!
If this is some quaint regional terminology then please enlighten me.

When I mean bulb I meant ballvalve I didnt know what it was called lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back