Future proof kitchen rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
rewiring a kitchen. Customer wants to future proof (as he is selling house) with a Cooker outlet.

Without knowing the capacity of the cooker that someone may wish to install was going to max it ut with 10mm, thats fine but obviously Im nervous about what I should do at the CU. Im not going to put a breaker on it as this could potentially be the wrong size. Do you think its better to just leave the 10mm coiled in the CU and label it. Ready for connection in the future?

Sponsored Links
You could make an educated guess. Even if you are wrong it's still not a big problem for the new owner to get the MCB upgraded. Even a 14kW appliance after diversity will fit on a 32A MCB so you could fit that and be done with it.

Is the consumer unit boxed in? If so your plan is fine but I wouldn't actually put the coiled cable into the CU. Leave it out on show so it is obvious it isn't connected. Might save a post here in the future with someone wondering why their cooker point isn't working :LOL:

Davy

Thanks for the reply Davey. My main worry is if a low capacity oven goes in, combined gas and electric etc. I dont really want to put to big a breaker in.

When you say is the CU boxed in what do you mean? what difference would it make it it wasnt boxed in. :)

Well if its boxed in the owner won't mind big chunky cable that's been coiled up just dangling there. If it isn't he might want it in the consumer unit so it doesn't look like a bodged job when potential buyers come around - but I suppose an explanation would be enough for most people.

Sponsored Links
Yeh I see what you mean now.
Cant see how leaving the cable unconnected is agaisnt the regs in anyway. ANYONE :?:

As long as it is suitably insulated so it can not become live there shouldn't be a problem. I just think it is better for it to be clear that it is not connected rather than the new owners thinking there is a fault when they realise the cooker point isn't working.

Davy

Future-proofing because he wants to sell? I very much doubt that anybody is going to even notice. Especially given the number of times I get called in to quote for a rewire after all decoration has been carried out!

Put in a bog-standard circuit to a cooker switch - use 10 sq mm if you must - run a feed to a cooker connection point and then put it all on a 40A MCB, connect it all up and test it. It will be perfectly safe like that and it won't encourage some DIYer in the future to open the CU to connect it.

Also, the MCB is to protect the cable. If you don't know that (as your 11:22 post suggests) then I really don't think you should be doing this work.

Calm down dingbat :D course I know that the MCB protects the cable do you want to see my qualifications? The point is I dont know what capacity future cooker will be connected thats why Im using big cable. And I dont really want to stick in a 40A mcb if someone wants to connect a lower capacity cooker. I can see your point thought about a DIYer having a go. Hmmmmmmmmm

RobFurn said:
And I dont really want to stick in a 40A mcb if someone wants to connect a lower capacity cooker.

Where's the problem in that? A lower load will use a lower current; it's the prospect of a bigger load that might be problematic. The MCB is not there to protect the cooker.

And whose problem is it anyway? He's going to sell the house. He wants a cooker point there, so install one and there's an end to it.

still dont like it, I know what the regs say and your correct im just not comfortable fitting a high rated MCB just because the cable can handle the load . Maybe I should chill out:cool: and just get on with it as you say. Thanks all the same. Might phone Smashy and NIC to see if they have an opinion, Then again!!! :LOL:

Dingbat is spot on.

The MCB does not protect the cooker, so it doesn't matter what rating the MCB is (as far as the cooker is concerned)

Yes I know the MCB protects the cable. And I know In≥Ib but what happens if a fault develops in a lower rated cooker and the MCB does not trip cos its much higher rated. But I suppose having considered it further most lighting circuits on a 6A MCB probably wont even draw over 2 A so its a limilar scenario.
Ok Im convinced. thanks again - time to turn this thing off an crack open a Stella :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back