Suprima 40 with 5111603 PCB and Amber light problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a Potterton Suprima 40 boiler with version 5111603 of the PCB. It was upgraded last year to a 5111603 PCB from the initial version PCB which had the infamous lockout bug. Domestic General swapped the unit under my Central Heating insurance, however this insurance ceased last year and I didn't renew it.

Until recently it has been fine. Unfortunately my boiler has recently been going off with a constant Amber Light displayed when it should be on. For example, it should come on at 6am and go off at 9am however it has recently been coming on at 6am and going off at 7am. It is doing a similar thing at night and I cannot get it to come back on using either Extend or Advanced on the timer when there is only a constant Amber light on the unit.

I have had a local electrician round to confirm that the boiler is receiving the appropriate electrical signals from both the timer and the temperature control on the wall, and it is.

Could this point to another faulty PCB?

If at all possible I would like to avoid paying £300.00 for a Potterton engineer to come round.

Thanks very much! :)

Sponsored Links
The constant amber light means there is no external call for heat.
Does the boiler turn off when on Hot Water only, if it does not then it could be a faulty room stat.
Turn the room stat to maximum,does the boiler turn off after an hour if so could be faulty room stat.

Cheers

Fault Finding - Switched Live (LED Continuously Orange)

Double check your switched live to boiler
If OK
Check the wiring between the PCB and terminal block
If OK
Replace PCB 5112178

Hi Guys,

Can anyone here help, we moved into this house in may (1st home) and boiler has been fine up until a few weeks ago...

The light on the boiler goes to amber and flashes amber and no water or heating comes on !!

I cant see anything in any manuals about an amber light!

however some days you'll come to turn the bolier on for water and heating and it will come on within 5 mins?

Can anyone help with any suggestions of what to do! this is doing my head in ! thanks!

JP

Sponsored Links
You should start a new post.
Give the details of the boiler etc & you will get the help you require.
Without information they cant help you.

Sorry, I thought i would just add on to this as it is the same boiler, a potterton suprima 40.

When we moved in to the house there was a receipt for a new PCB so i assume this boiler suffered from the red lock out light, which obviously is now fixed....

(there is a booklet replacement part number for the pcb 5111603)

it just seems exactly the same fault as the gents at the top of the page?!

what other details can i supply?

Cheers

JP

The problem you may have when you 'hijack' a post, is people will see the date feb 07, & may not bother.

Anyway Im not a plumber, you may get some help now we are bumping your thread.. :p

ahhh ok ! doh!

well if i dont then i'll start a new one!

Just thought, as i said, i'd add it on to the bottom as i have the exact same problem as the chap at the top, same boiler, same part number for replacement pcb!

as we speak now the heating and water have come on after 1hr of me turning it on!

it really is random!

hope someone can help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back