Removed tiles and part of plaster!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed the tiles in my bathroom to re-tile. In parts the plaster has come of as well but only patchy the remaining plaster is solid. I'll try and explain better, bits of pinky plaster has come off, the remaining pinky stuff is solid but behind where it has come off the walls are grey, no wood or board. What do I need to do to re-tile. Any help appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation
Kath

Sponsored Links
1. Be thankful that the loose plaster is coming away now, rather than after you've re-tiled!

2. Tap the remaining plaster skim coat to detect any more loose patches - when you find them then hack them off. Anything that's firmly attached will be difficult to remove.

Here's an example of excellent tool for scraping off loose plaster:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102100&ts=14424&id=45940#

3. When you've removed all loose plaster, use a stiff brush to remove dust and other loose crud.

4. Paint the wall with a purpose made tile adhesive primer, e.g. Bal Prime APD.

Never heard of the stuff, but shall go and get some. Do I just tile over it???
When I take my tiles off the other wall I am expecting to find the same scenario but that's going to be on an internal wall, what will I have to do there?
Many thanks

kayla99 said:
I've removed the tiles in my bathroom to re-tile. In parts the plaster has come of as well but only patchy the remaining plaster is solid. I'll try and explain better, bits of pinky plaster has come off, the remaining pinky stuff is solid but behind where it has come off the walls are grey, no wood or board. What do I need to do to re-tile. Any help appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation
Kath

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back