2 fused switch connection units off a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the load on the 2 switched fcu is low, i.e low voltage downlights on one and a tv on the other , I presume this is ok?

Do I connect the first fcu to the socket, then run cable from the load on the first fcu to the second?

Update

Ok, I've done the above now as I think its ok given they are fused. Anyone:?: :?:

However, I have put a 3amp fuse in the first fcu (as advised by the instructions on the lighting I've installed). If I run a feed of here from the load side to another fused switch unit (say 13amp) to power the plasma, will this be ok?

Sponsored Links
No. Run 2.5mm cable to the feeds of both fcus, making sure you maintain the ring. Then run the lighting cable on the load side of the first fcu with a 3 amp fuse and then run the plasma cable from the load side of the 2nd fcu using an appropriate fuse. You shouldn't run 2 spurs off one socket, so extend the ring (if there is one) to include the fcus.

sparkyspike said:
No. Run 2.5mm cable to the feeds of both fcus, making sure you maintain the ring.

Could you elaborate a little on how this is done.

Is it because the 3amp fcu is feeding the 13amp one? What if I didn't use the load side of the first FCU and connected the second fcu directly to the socket. That would mean having two fused switch connection units spurred from the socket. Whilst 2 spurs aren't allowed, would it not be acceptable as they are both fused and only supply low voltage downlights and a tv, and nothing else will/can be added to this.

Or I could make the 13amp fused connection unit the first spur, then spur off this via the load side to the second fcu (3amp). Surely this is ok as I've been told you can add a fused spur and then come off the load side as many times as you like up to the rated 13A.

Thanks in advance

According to the way we do things the highest fuse goes upstream so (if you do as you propose) run a spur from the socket on the ring to an FCU. Fuse there at 13A. You can then feed a second FUu from the output of the first fused at 3A.
Theres no point doing it the other way round cos the 3 A fuse will always go first.

TTC

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
According to the way we do things the highest fuse goes upstream so (if you do as you propose) run a spur from the socket on the ring to an FCU. Fuse there at 13A. You can then feed a second FUu from the output of the first fused at 3A.
Theres no point doing it the other way round cos the 3 A fuse will always go first.

TTC

Great - will do. Thanks ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back