Digging out old concrete in fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace some/all of my wooden fence posts with the concrete type, however the wooden ones are held in place with small concrete supports (I am sure that there is a name for them). I will need to get rid of the old concrete ones but as they are concreted into the ground, am not looking forward to digging all the way round creating a HUGE hole and re-rilling with concrete.

My questions are:

1. Is there some whizzy way to easily do this ?

2. If I have to break the old concrete bases up, can I use the broken hardcore to fill the hole around the new post ?

All replies/experiences appreciated....

Sponsored Links
no theres no easy way. you need to disturb them as little as possible, therefore digging them out is not a good idea, as it means that the ground is not left firm for the new post. Hire out a breaker eg kango etc and break the concrete out in pieces. you then still have a relativly small hole left to work with that will give you a much more stable fixing for the new post nd foundation.

Sponsored Links
easiest way if you can work it. Mind you, it can backfire, we did a fence like that last week and we started hitting the old old concrete foundations that had been left from the time before. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back