maytag smoking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! my daughter's 3 year old maytag top loader washer started last week not rinsing her clothes well(soap was still on clothes etc), then she heard a load sound like something broke and then smelled a bad smell and saw a small amount of smoke coming from it by the time she got to it and turned it off. Is this worth calling out an expensive repairman? With all the problems with Maytag lately, I wonder whether it would be better to invest the $150 that is usually minimum on repairs into a different new washer. Does anyone have a clue to what might have happened and if so, is it an easy fix? My husband is pretty good at fixing things like this, but we were just wondering if the transmission is likely gone and not worth our time. I appreciate any help that anyone may have on this! Thanks!
Stacy

Sponsored Links
i am not an expert but just reading your post, is it worth checking the rubber belt at the back as this would be the easiest and cheapest thing to replace.i know that when a belt went on my w/machine it stank of burning rubber and made a bit of a bang. hope that helps, good luck

Mark, i should point out the OP is in America, and has a toploader, toploaders don't have a belt at the back.

see this

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back