Removing itchen tiles - appear superglued!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question what is the best way to remove old tiles from kitchen walls. We removed some with hammer and scraper when removing a paper wall but could do with a cleaner more acurate solution. Trying to avoid damaging walls or plaster!

The electric points seem to be screwed in over the tiles? If we remove the tiles will the points be safe?

I have looked through 7 pages on this thread but not seen same question so if there is one with answers please just point me to it!! Many thanks, appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
I'm only a diyer, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The ease with which the tiles come off will depend on how well they were put on in the first place. And the amount of damage to plaster will depend on how good the plaster is and how good the tiling is.

I have removed tiles with old scrapers and cold chisels. Again depends on how well it was tiled in the first place. I found in my kitchen that an old scraper got the tiles off in great sheets. It still left some adhesive on the walls.

I think most people would advise you to just take the tiles off, if it damages the plaster, do a skim coat, or fill the minor holes.

As for the sockets, you will probably find the tiles go just behind the socket. Remove the sockets, take the tiles off, then replace socket until you are ready to retile.

sounds spot on to me chrisz. ;)

we have little sympathy with the plaster below if the tiles are a bit stubborn. its far easier to repair the plaster than to dilly-dally around with scrapers. bolster and a lump hammer is the answer.

Sponsored Links
Hello I'm back again on this one as have hit a problem in removing these tiles - they were OK on the window wall though slow going no sheets of tiles removed very lucky if they came off whole now we have removed some behind the hob which is on an exterior wall but removing them is taking huge chunks of the plasterboard off as well - we can see the grey brickwork behind the wall.

My hubby has downed his tile removing tools as has decided will be same across back wall and even worse on room dividing wall which is just plasterboard and filler. He thinks that once we remove the existing kitchen units from wall and worktop etc he can cut away the old plasterboard with tiles on it and then he can put new plasterboard on the wall. I don't think he means to take it up to the ceiling but find the existing batons. (I'm concerned about the plasterboard wall though I guess there must be batons on this?

I see a one problems with this: Electricity sockets including cooker switch and central heating controls (though want to upgrade these anyway) can anyone else advise if this is a good course of action or a real nightmare.

Other problem to me will be time as I can see this taking a couple of days on top of him removing the kitchen!

Any advice most gratefully received!

Bigger hammer?

Think you just need to go for it and get them tiles off. Then you can decide what needs doing to the walls. The way your hubby suggests might be making even more work for him!

Keep smashing away!
The plaster in the plasterboard where the hob was will have dried out - it may be almost chalky and just crumble away.

You will never get tiles off without damaging the plasterboard. That's life.
Get a plasterer in to sort out the mess. guaranteed he'll have seen a bigger mess before. He will probably cut away the damaged board as you indicated and skim the rest.
A wall should only cost around 50 quid to sort out. Problem solved.

Thanks for that guys. Yesplasterboard is at it's worst behind the hob so will probably have dried out as suggested! I think I'll get him back on the job but will take some convincing think he see's his option as being less mess as tiling shards going everywhere with his method but would rather get this bit out of the way!

If we do go down the replacement of plasterboard method should I get him to just make holes for electrical sockets?

Thanks again (I would be helping him more but pregnant with twins!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back