How do I avoid the stipple finish when rollering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help.

Every time I use a roller (emulsion onto walls) I end up with a slightly stippled effect all over. Always had the same problem - Am I doing something wrong? I'd love to achieve a relly flat finish.

I'm using a standard emuslion with a 'woolly' kind of roller, but I seem to get the same problem whatever kind of paint / roller I've tried.

Sponsored Links
"they all do that sir"

You can get a Mohair roller which is velvety, leaves less texture than a shaggy sheepskin (or fake) sleeve.

Sponsored Links
good point you make sir ! i have had the same problem and wanted to get round it but to no avail..

The woolly type of roller will give that orange peel effect, use a short haired roller, and dont have the paint to thick, you will get a flatter finish.

I recently used a Wickes roller, I think it was called a "rapid roller" or something similar. Anyway, it has a short and dense pile on the sleeve and seemed to give good flat results.

oh what times we live in where smooth paint effects are so hard to achieve

i think this is why matt emulsion is recommended, so you cant see the stippling

im sure the victorians would have laid it off, lovingly, with a brush
(it would have been distemper back then)

all i can recommend is not to look at the walls after you have painted them, there must be more to life than that, surely?

The vistorians didnt have rollers...nor did we til the 60's....all done with 8 inch flat brushes...thank god I was born to late

:LOL: There are some parts of my hallway where I tried a 7" emulsion brush some years ago - Looked even worse - Brushmarks all over the shop. Those Victorians must have had it down to a fine art.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back