Wind noise on a flat roof !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , recently bought a new house which has a flat roof on a dormer extension which is a bedroom , the problem I have is whenever there are fairly strong winds the roof in one particular corner creaks and groans ! Initially I thought the facia and vented soffit on one side could be the cause ( Wind whipping up underneath ) due to their age they were not flush to the wall but the problem persists after having them replaced with un vented soffit . Is it possible for the wind to get under the roof boarding and the noise I hear is the board being lifted ?? I haven't been up there myself but was told the felt seemed in good nick . If this is the case does that mean new boarding or is it possible to re clout and felt that section ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is feels like I'm kipping aboard the HMS Bounty some nights !!

Sponsored Links
HMS bounty.......don`t forget the Rum Bum and Baccy :eek:

Without hearing it no one can be precise, but creaks and groans like a sailing ship are normally the structure as a whole, not an individual part of it

Dormers can be flexed by wind, and its likely to be the stucture moving slightly, rather than part of any external cladding or timberwork.

It's normally due to it being put togther with nails, rather than bolts or coach screws at critical places. Nothing wrong with that structurally, but it does allow the timber to move very slightly at the connection. Other causes are poor bracing of the frame - again not a problem, but it does allow more movement than it should

The groaning noise appears to be coming from only one small section about 2 foot square right where the flat roof ajoins the pitch ???

Sponsored Links
Yes it will come from one place, but what I meant was that normally it is a bigger part of the structure which is moving slightly (say the dormer cheeks) and then the creak comes from a connection point - ie in your case where it meets the main roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back