A bad tiling job- what to do next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I'm in need of some advice. I've just moved house and I have noticed that the tiling job around the bath/shower in the bathroom looks a bit of a bodge job. The tiles have been put on to bare plasterboard and there is also water escaping through the seal between the tiles and the bath and on to the floor behind the bath.

From what I have read it seems that tiling on to plasterboard is not a good idea around the bath, so what will I need to do once I have removed all the old tiles?

Any advice would be really helpful, thanks in advance.

Ryan.

Sponsored Links
You say it looks a "bodge job"? By this do you mean that the tiles look bad or are you just referring to the fact that they've tiled onto plasterboard?
If the tiles look ok then I'd be inclined to leave them and just re-seal around the bath. If you want to change the tiles you obviously first remove them - this will probably badly damage the plasterboard. Depending on how water damaged and rough the plasterboard is will dictate whether you skim over it or just replace with new. If you replace it, I suggest you use Aqua panel (water resistant plasterboard).
Now that the wall is either patched up or replaced you need to protect the wall - for this you need to "tank" it. http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=9005-102
You should always tank around a shower area - you might ask why bother using Aqua panel when you're going to tank the area anyway, and that would be a good question. The simple answer is "belt and braces". (Aqua panel will also handle more weight than regular plasterboard but this is usually not an issue.) The use of Aqua panel is advisable but by no means essential so long as you tank "properly".
Once you've got your wall tanked, just tile straight onto that.

Thanks gcol,

The tiling is very uneven and looks like it has been rushed to say the least, although the tiles themselves are fine. I will have a look for one of the tanking kits that you suggest in your link. Considering that the tiles have been put on quite badly maybe they will come off easily and I'll be able to save the wall behind, if not then I will buy some aqua board as you suggest and then tank over that.

Thanks again for your help- if anybody else has any useful "tips" for the job then they would be apprieciated too.

Ryan.

Sponsored Links
Better off pulling the tiles off and cutting the plasterboard away. Then replace with Aquapanel and tile onto that. No need to tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back