Do I have to seal my garage fllor before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just put a garage up and want to paint the garage fllor with some floor paint. Do I have to seal it first or can I just paint straight onto it with floor paint?

Also, the walls are concrete panels too (its a sectional garage) - what type of paint should I use to paint these and do I again have to seal them first?

If I have to seal in either instance - what do you use to do this? Can you buy it ready made in tins that you just paint on or do youhave to mix it yourself with PVA and water?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Recommended to seal first, otherwise you'll need twice as much paint.
You can get special floor sealing solution for concrete floors. Wickes do it I think. (Don't confuse it with dustproofer which is added into concrete when mixing)
You could also just use pva, watered down 5:1 (mostly water) This will give the floor paint something to stick to without soaking into the concrete.

Walls, same thing. pva first then use a masonry paint.

My advice is use the actual specific sealer that is advized by the Brand Floor Paint that you choose to use. Cos if you use PVA and something should go wrong then you have NO CLAIM against the Paint Makers (if anything goes wrong). The same goes with the Wall Paint.

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:
My advice is use the actual specific sealer that is advized by the Brand Floor Paint that you choose to use. Cos if you use PVA and something should go wrong then you have NO CLAIM against the Paint Makers (if anything goes wrong). The same goes with the Wall Paint.

My thoughts too..

Get a tin of floor paint and read what it says about prepping the floor and first coats.

My guess would be thinning out the first one in order to dust proof and prime at the same time..

I dont reccommend mixing different brands either..if something goes wrong no -one will accept responsiblity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back