Worcester 24CDi gaining pressure after new diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since having the diverter valve replaced on my Worcester 24CDi RSF combi boiler a few weeks ago, the boiler is suffering from increasing pressure over time. I've reduced the pressure 3 times now (using the pressure relief valve test knob) to reduce the pressure so that it's not discharging, but after a week or so it's back up to high pressure levels again.

From what I've seen on here and other sites, the most likely cause is perforation in the water to water heat exchanger, however I was wondering if there's any chance it could be a faulty water diverter. I couldn't find a description of how they work anywhere, so was wondering how well separated the mains water is from the central heating circuit in these things - does anyone know if this is a possibility?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It`s possible that the diaphragm in the expansion vessel is split....
Remove the cap from the valve & check the pressure, should be roughly 0.5 bar, if you get water released from the valve as opposed to air this will confirm deteration of the internal rubber diaphragm.

Sponsored Links
gasman26 said:
It`s possible that the diaphragm in the expansion vessel is split....
Remove the cap from the valve & check the pressure, should be roughly 0.5 bar, if you get water released from the valve as opposed to air this will confirm deteration of the internal rubber diaphragm.

I know what your saying but I dont think is is the what the OP is describing
This would cause a pressure drop over time...not a pressure increase as it would be discharging when the heating is on. The OP said he ishaving to manually lower the pressure himself and that the pressure creeps up over a period of time.

I think the fault is the plate heat ex...ive changed about 10 for this very reason.

apologies.... mis-read the posting stating over the period of time... in that case im inclined to agree with your diagnosis of a split dhw heat exchanger....

A faulty diverter would bring the pressure up a great deal quicker than that, as already said the problem is a dhw hx.

posted by ollski : A faulty diverter would bring the pressure up a great deal quicker than that, as already said the problem is a dhw hx.

Who said anything about a faulty diverter? which incidently would not bring the pressure up........

rolyapples said:
however I was wondering if there's any chance it could be a faulty water diverter. I couldn't find a description of how they work anywhere, so was wondering how well separated the mains water is from the central heating circuit in these things - does anyone know if this is a possibility?

Thanks in advance

:rolleyes:

gasman26 said:
posted by ollski : A faulty diverter would bring the pressure up a great deal quicker than that, as already said the problem is a dhw hx.

Who said anything about a faulty diverter? which incidently would not bring the pressure up........

Not necessarily!

But thats not possible on most boilers because the DHW feed and system water parts are not sealed together and any leakage just results in a leak from the joint between the actuator and the manifold.

The only exception is the older Vokera 20-80 where they put a big rubber seal in the middle which seals the DHW and enables it to get into the system water.

Tony

Not possible on yours - water would leak from the holes...
Diverterholes.gif

Many thanks for that info - that's exactly what I was after! Guess it's time to replace the heat exchanger now.

Agile said:
The only exception is the older Vokera 20-80 where they put a big rubber seal in the middle which seals the DHW and enables it to get into the system water.

Tony

Sorry my point was general not model specific, in my mind was the chaff. celtic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back