Planning permission replace flat roof with pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

We are planning to replace an existing flat roof over the garage with a pitched roof inline with the existing roof with two velux windows. We have a chalet style house the garage is joined to the house and measures 7m x 2.8m.

The space within the new pitched roof over the garage would be used as an en-suite bathroom.

Would we require planning permission as the existing roofline would be maintained and the volume increase would be height only?

Many thanks for all those that can help me on this matter.

Sponsored Links
Yes you will almost certainly require PP & BC will want to get involved as well. I had the exact same scenario on an old flat roof extension at the back of my house except we weren’t using the roof space as another room; I just don’t like flat roofs!

You will need to consider the additional weight of the pitch roof & tiles when building/buying the roof trusses & you will need to ensure the insulation of the new room complies with current standards.

Thanks Richard C for you detailed response. I knew BC would be involved but though we could get away without full PP!

You could most likely do this under permitted development, and as such will not need a formal planning application.

But check with your local planning office first just to confirm.

Sponsored Links
Richard C said:
Yes you will almost certainly require PP & BC will want to get involved as well. I had the exact same scenario on an old flat roof extension at the back of my house except we weren’t using the roof space as another room; I just don’t like flat roofs!

You will need to consider the additional weight of the pitch roof & tiles when building/buying the roof trusses & you will need to ensure the insulation of the new room complies with current standards.

Given the description by the OP I would suspect that planning would not necessarily be needed, provided the plane of the roof was constructed no nearer any public highway, or did not extend above the ridge line.

However, the easiest way is to call the Planner in your area and ask!!

No, lots of things are exempt, and other things can be done under permitted development.

sorry to hijack, but it is a related question..

would i need planning permission to "square off" a roof?

what i mean is, i have a flat with a 3 sided roof ( see picture ) and would like to develop the loft space at some point, making the roof only 2 sided for added space.. ( my flat is top 3 windows on the right side.. want to make into gable end with window perhaps.. )

flat.jpg

Yes you would need permission, and from a planning/design perspective your proposal would unbalance the terrace, and so you would have a job getting permission

^woody^ said:
Yes you would need permission, and from a planning/design perspective your proposal would unbalance the terrace, and so you would have a job getting permission

I would suggest that there is a case for not needing PP for this work as the roof projects no closer to the highway, or extends above the exisitng ridge. This guy's didn't:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/index.htm

Are you the freeholder though? That could stuff up the plans maybe!

As always though - go in and ask the LPO!

I don't know of any of these locally, where the various councils have accepted these under permitted development.

A very recent case in Sandwell, made headlines where a rear dormer was built without permission (lower than ridge, no near to highway etc), and yet it has been determined to have required permission - something which was refused on application and on appeal, and now it is subject to an enforcement order and has to be removed.

I would suggest a written reply from the council confirming that no PP is required, or a Certificate of Lawful Development application would be the best course of action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back