Moving Electric Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move a twin oven to the other side of the kitchen. This will mean that the oven is 6m from the control unit.

Will I need to move the Control unit? or can I run a long Twin&Earth to the oven? If so what size should it be?

How should the cable be routed? Can it be attached to the wall under the cupboards or in ducting?

Sponsored Links
cooker isolator switches can be NO MORE than 2M away from the cooker..

so no, you can't just run it on a long piece of 6mm twin...

you will need to re-locate the cooker switch..

if it is just a double oven, does it need a 40A supply? some can be put into 13A FCU's..

No. Single ovens are <13A, because you cannot use the grill & oven elements together. But double ovens are >13A.

Thanks

Is it possible to extend the original cable using a junction box, or should a new run to the fusebox be installed?

Sponsored Links
ColJack you said :
ColJack said:
.....so no, you can't just run it on a long piece of 6mm twin...you will need to re-locate the cooker switch..

I am moving my cooker too and an electrician came yesterday and said that 6mm cable was illegal now to instal a cooker? Do you know anything about this. He said my cooker which is a range style would have to be 10mm cable. I don;t know if he is just trying to make money or is he right.

A

Angielogie said:
I am moving my cooker too and an electrician came yesterday and said that 6mm cable was illegal now to instal a cooker? Do you know anything about this. He said my cooker which is a range style would have to be 10mm cable. I don;t know if he is just trying to make money or is he right.

A
Whats its rating? 6mm is not illegal to install cookers, it can be used provided the rating of the cooker and the MCB/fuse is low enough, which, in most cases it is.

Why bother about the few pennies difference in 6 or 10 m/m.
You will still have to install a new cooker switch anyway....

suppose you are right. I didn;t realise there was just a little difference in the price. Thanks

You mentioned that it is a Range cooker. If it is all-electric I expect it has about 3 ovens and about 6 rings and a grill. This means the power requirement will be high.

The electrician who visited probably saw what a heavy load the cooker requires, and presumably he could see that it needed a large (10mm) cable.

If you tell us the cooker power rating (it will be on a makers plate, possibly inside an oven door, otherwise round the back, and in the instruction book) and how long the cable run is from cooker to consumer unit, we can comment, but I would expect the electrician (who has seen it) made a correct assessment.

Incidentally, if you like range cookers, there is a lot to be said for getting one with a gas hob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back