Raising kitchen units & worktop to line up with tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I recently had my kitchen tiled and discovered that the kitchen worktop was not flat. There were not enough tiles to cope with this so tiling was performed on a level from the highest point of the worktop against the wall. The kitchen units are fitted to a U shape with the sink starting from left wall to a long flat worktop and cupbords in the middle wall and, finally, to the right wall where the worktop contains a induction hob and oven ( seperate units ).

The tiling is fine on the left wall but the gap between the tiles and the worktop extends from 8mm to 15mm as you work from the middle to the end of the right wall. I was wondering whether anyone had previously raised their kitchen units (that the worktop sits on ) by a small amount. I need to raise them only slightly - my units are on adjustable legs. Is that a good idea? or should I not be lazy and fit small tile slithers in the gaps ( in the end there were tiles remaining - doh).

Any other possible solutions that the professionals would use? Opinions are greatly received?

In-case it is relavent, my kitchen is from MFI and I payed a small fortune for them to fit it, albeit un-level.

DIY -> 1 step forward, 3 steps back!

Sponsored Links
You need to raise the unit so they're level. They'll be screwed to the wall at the back so you'll need to re-position those screws. How long ago did they fit the kitchen - I'd be inclined to get them back in if it wasn't too long ago.

How long ago did they fit the kitchen

Ans: We had them in at an around Oct/Nov 2005.

You need to raise the unit so they're level. They'll be screwed to the wall at the back so you'll need to re-position those screws

If I do raise units slightly, what sort of impact may this have on the joining/buttering of the worktops? Since the room is a U shape, it has three connecting worktops, obviously through two joints.

Do you think it will be an easy job to raise them by 10 mm?

Sponsored Links
elimn8or said:
We had them in at an around Oct/Nov 2005.
Well you've no chance in getting them to do it now. Why didn't you notice as soon as they'd done it?
elimn8or said:
If I do raise units slightly, what sort of impact may this have on the joining/buttering of the worktops? Since the room is a U shape, it has three connecting worktops, obviously through two joints.
Do you think it will be an easy job to raise them by 10 mm?
Shouldn't make any difference to the joints as long as you're reasonably careful. You'll need to unscrew the worktops from the units before you start trying to level anything. It should be quite straight forward - just take your time. If you have to force anything, you've probably missed a screw somewhere.
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back