replacement electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve just bought a new 3.3kW oven. After I bought the oven I pulled out my old \\\'current\\\' oven to find it was plugged in, looking at the user manual for that oven tells me it uses 2.37kW, so low enough for a plug.

Onto my problem: The person who re-wired my house before I bought it last year put the kitchen and upstairs sockets on the same 32A ring.

Excluding the oven, in the kitchen I have a fridge, washing machine, microwave and kettle.

My old \\\'current\\\' oven uses just over 10A and the new oven will use just over 14A. My question is can I replace the socket behind my oven with a 30A cooker socket and run it off the 32A ring the kitchen is currently connected too.

I don\\\'t really want to have to install a separate ring for my oven as all the walls where freshly plastered when I bought the house last year.

I would appreciate any help/suggestions.

Sponsored Links
spaceboyo said:
My question is can I replace the socket behind my oven with a 30A cooker socket and run it off the 32A ring the kitchen is currently connected too.

NO NO NO

You must never ever ever do this.

It is highly dangerous to do this, and the circuit is not designed for this.

Sponsored Links
It might be only 4A but the ring circuit is not designed to take anything other than 13A socket outlets, fused spur units etc. The new oven needs to be supplied from its own circuit. Installing a new circuit is notifiable under part P of the building regs. Your other option is to exchange the oven for one that has a low enough Kw rating to plug in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back