Is there an environmentally friendly way to clean a brush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brush cleaner and white spirit says on the tin that its hazardous to wildlife and water based life. So how do I dispose of used up brush cleaner safely? Or is there no solution? What does everyone else do? Help! :confused:

Sponsored Links
I never use white spirit or turps when cleaning oil based brushes. In fact, i never ever clean oil based brushes. As a painter etc then ya just leave them in water for next use.

Really third eye - wow I didn't know you could do that - whenever I've used a wet brush with an oil based paint it makes the paint go on a bit funny at first - do you just wipe it off on newspaper etc first and then use.?

Sponsored Links
Time you got a brushmate Third_eye.

Recycle:

If I need to wash brushes out in white spirit, I always funnel the used stuff into an empty white spirit container till it's full, then all the residue falls to the bottom, leaving me with clean stuff to use, which can easily be poured into a clean "white spirit" container.

I always re-use. ;)

Cling Film

on its own for brushes

and with an additional carrier bag tied round for rollers

will keep them fresh

p.s. i would never treat my brushes like this

Hi modern materials - I've used clingfilm for overnight resting but find that it doesn't work for me for longer periods (maybe I don't wrap tight enough or paint too infrequently) - the brushes tend to go hard after a week or so.

Growler, thanks I've often wondered if you the white spirit or brush cleaner is as effective second time around but it's definitely worth a shot - I'll get me a funnel.

thanks all for your ideas

damson

Growler said:
Time you got a brushmate Third_eye.

Recycle:

If I need to wash brushes out in white spirit, I always funnel the used stuff into an empty white spirit container till it's full, then all the residue falls to the bottom, leaving me with clean stuff to use, which can easily be poured into a clean "white spirit" container.

I always re-use. ;)
Know what you saying "Growler", but i do not use white spirit or turps at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back