Garage Roof (Tiled) and Flat Roof Leaking PHOTO ADDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help

The garage roof slopes gently [backwards] to a flat roofed utility room. I have had a minor water leak problem for a while with the point where the tiled roof ends and the flat roof begins.

just lately a new leak has started about 1/4 of the way up the tiled roof. I cannot see just where it gets in but it runs down a joist before dripping off. The situation seems to be getting worse following a quick looksee in the garage.

The slope on the [rearward facing] tiles is not as steep as I would have thought it should be.

My question is this: What should the slope be for tiles and being as there is nothing I can do to increase this what action can I take if insufficient? Are there tiles that can be laid on a gentle slope or should I look at a slate roof option but just on the rearwards facing part of the roof?

I will post a photo once it stops raining.

GarageRoof.jpg

The photo was takrn at an angle slighly off a direct shot but I have tried to get the image horizontal. It appears thay the tiles are laid so that the surface is almost (if not) flat. I would welcome any suggestions and if the pitch has to be changed then it has to be but hopefully not.

Sponsored Links
Do you know the angle of the roof pitch?

Could be not enough tiles overlap, a photo will be good to see.

The pitch of the roof is too low for the 9"x6"(?) tiles you have.

You may also have a hairline crack if you look very carefully.

They're a low pitch roof tiles available from 15° pitch

A metal sheet roof tile effect can be as low as 10° pitch

Looking at the brickwork calculation, I've roughly worked it out at 10° pitch

Other than that try and replace the tile where you think it might be.

Sponsored Links
absolutely hilarious! tell me that is a diy job, cause no pro would use plains on that roof.

that roof pitch is no where near steep enough (12 degrees) for plain tiles. no wonder you have a leak!

You may also have a hairline crack if you look very carefully.
Many thanks for your advice. So the solution seems to be to replace the tiles with the metal ones? Would slate not do the job?

Whereabouts is the potential hairline crack BTW?

noseall said:
absolutely hilarious! tell me that is a diy job, cause no pro would use plains on that roof.

that roof pitch is no where near steep enough (12 degrees) for plain tiles. no wonder you have a leak!
Right here goes:

I have done quite a bit of DIY in my life - digging foundations laying oversite concrete, plumbing, woodwork, electrical (it used to be my trade). I also have done a bit of bricklaying but have never ever done a job as bad as this nor the multiple issues that keep cropping up on this house.

The house was bought some 6 years ago by a drainage contractor who extended it (two storey) and built the utility room at the rear of the garage. For whatever reason he decided to raise the roofline above the garage and then slope it oh so slowly to the flat roofed utility room.

He then sold it on for profit.

So in answer to our question NO it was not done by a DIYer but was it done by a professional roofer? I very much doubt it but it was probably done by a self employed jobbing builder. The only truly professional work on the house is the carpentry - the 'developer' employed a retired chippy who worked cheap. Boy he was good though - mind he would almost weep at the things he had to do - so we are told.

You may find this odd but I keep all the photos and helpful advice I get in a folder named simply 'Cowboy' to reflect what I think about the guy who developed this place! Before I get hit - I have a high regard for 99.99% in the building trade as those I have employed did good work.

Sandy Beech said:
So the solution seems to be to replace the tiles with the metal ones?
For that angle pitch, I've not heard of of roof tiles lower than 10° but do check with the roof tiles website just in case, I have a ludlow tiles which have a water bar groove on the top to stop rain coming in but that's really for pitch 15°
Would slate not do the job?
I don't think so, I believe the minimum is 20° pitch
Whereabouts is the potential hairline crack BTW?
You may not be able to see it as its could under the overlapping tiles.

To give some idea of my metal roof tile effect sheeting of the summerhouse which can go down as low as 10° pitch which I think you may have, see the link

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4236

Thanks Masona I have contacted the Mfrs to ask for local stockists and contractors in the Sth of Birmingham area.

Your Summer House looks good - and just the place that would have been ideal for my Mother in Law - in your garden that is ;)

Sandy Beech said:
Your Summer House looks good - and just the place that would have been ideal for my Mother in Law - in your garden that is ;)
No thanks, one is far too many :)

If you look closely the roof tiles is in line with the brick mortar joint at the back of the house so the tiles is in the wrong angle.

It could probably be a simple tile replacement. But if the leak continues, I think you should contact a professional roofer to check it for you. It could be a bit pricey if a huge portion of the roof will be replaced.

minneapolis roofing

You could probably get away with a Marley Stonewold concrete interlocking tile on that pitch, or you could 3 layer felt it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back