wrap or replace exhaust?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The flexi bit on my exhaust is " leaking". To get the car past its MOT could i wrap the exhaust or do i have to go the whole expensive way and replace the front of the exhaust system?

Sponsored Links
I think there is a good chance it will fail if you try to wrap it up, it's very much a bodge job to get you home. If you go to a motor factors and ask them how much, you may be surprised.

Depends on whether or not you want to be mildly poisoned inside the car by fumes leaking up from below.

--tom,most MOT testers will assume the exhaust under the wrapping is u/s and fail it anyway. What wraps I have seen,are wrapped round wet then they sort of set hard.So when your flexi bit flexes,it cracks the wrapping anyway.
Don't waste your time and money on wraps,go get a new one,it's cheapest in the long run.

Sponsored Links
yes2mud said:
most MOT testers will assume the exhaust under the wrapping is u/s and fail it anyway.
On what do you base this bizarre statement?

Are testers entitled to assume whatever they want?

If I put a patch on my rusty but sound exhaust box that makes it look as though I've patched a hole, can the tester fail the box?

If the exhaust isn't leaking, how can it fail?

A sound welded patch is ok,anything that looks like a bodge has to be failed.
With all the complaining,blame the garage,it's just had an MOT and the exhaust has fallen off attitude around these days,testers will take no chances with gun-gum repairs.If that sounds bizzare Softus then tough!

To what extent is the flexi section leaking? By saying flexi section, I've got the picture in my head of the criss-cross overlapping mesh sort of section. Is it that sort? If its that than I wouldn't waste my time trying to mess with that.
Anything that looks like a bodge has to be failed? Thats a bit vague. Define bodge for me.

yes2mud said:
A sound welded patch is ok,anything that looks like a bodge has to be failed.

Not the case. If it passes, it's a pass. If it fails, it's a fail.

"anything that looks like a bodge" is not a fail.

Proving case:
My exhaust has a hole in it and I asked the garage to replace the part before its MOT last week. The part did not arrive, but the car passed the MOT.
The tester said, "In all about excesses with fails to condem a part e.g. excessive play in suspension bushes = fail... your car passed emissions so the exhaust is not execssivly worn so it's OK"

Thank you all for your replies and the useful e-address. I guess i bite the bullet and go for new.

From the MOT testers manual:

1. Examine the condition of the whole exhaust system, including the silencers and mountings, for security, deterioration and completeness
2. With the engine running
a. check the exhaust system for leaks

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound
b. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle.

Read into it what you will

mrgtv said:
The tester said, "In all about excesses with fails to condem a part e.g. excessive play in suspension bushes = fail... your car passed emissions so the exhaust is not execssivly worn so it's OK"
Assuming that you've quoted the tester accurately, then what he's told you is utter b*llocks.

The criteria for failing an exhaust system are more than simply the emissions tests. For example, it's required to not leak. If your exhaust system was leaking then it ought to have been failed. If a leaking system is patched up such that it doesn't leak, then it would not be failed on the grounds of leaking.

:rolleyes:

Softus said:
mrgtv said:
Assuming that you've quoted the tester accurately, then what he's told you is utter b*llocks.

The criteria for failing an exhaust system are more than simply the emissions tests. For example, it's required to not leak. If your exhaust system was leaking then it ought to have been failed. If a leaking system is patched up such that it doesn't leak, then it would not be failed on the grounds of leaking.

And a classic case of not reading the post.
My quote and the quote from the tester says nothing about leaks nor the full extent of the checks performed on an exhaust. All I said was the exhaust had a hole in it. *If* it was leaking, then that *may* come under the category of excessive wear.
I also said, "anything that looks like a bodge" is not a fail as long as it passes so I believe you're agreeing with me.

mrgtv said:
Softus said:
mrgtv said:

And a classic case of not reading the post.
Oh really. Then please transform into English the tester's words that you quoted, so that there can be no misinterpretation. For example:

In all about excesses with fails to condem a part....

My quote and the quote from the tester says nothing about leaks nor the full extent of the checks performed on an exhaust. All I said was the exhaust had a hole in it.
In that case you have a revolutionary new type of exhaust that can have a hole in it and yet not leak. :rolleyes:

*If* it was leaking, then that *may* come under the category of excessive wear.
Contrived nonsense. Holes in exhausts systems are caused by corrosion, not wear.

I also said, "anything that looks like a bodge" is not a fail as long as it passes so I believe you're agreeing with me.
You may believe so if you wish.

Sponsored Links
Back