Baxi Solo 2PF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1st post so here goes, problem with a Baxi Solo 2PF. When it is switched on the fan starts, runs for 1-2 seconds stops and runs again for another 1-2 secs, this repeats untill I'm bored looking at it. 1st thought APS but it isn't running long enough (purging) through its cycle to recognize air pressure (or is it?). All the lights show what is happining, resetting has no effect and to my knowledge it has never overheated. Any ideas (large hammer at the ready). Didn't mention there is no ignition or any operation of the gas valve, just this repetetive cycle.

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly the PCB, asuming that you do not have any problems with your external controls. Very simple job on a solo.

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with my boiler. The fan starts for 1-2 second, the pilot light tries to come on and then the fan gets switched off and tries to start again and the cycle continues.

The problem started last weekend. I took off the main cover and the boiler started working again. I replaced the main cover back after 2 days. It was working fine till today morning and now has started giving the same trouble. The other thing is that the first light showing 'boiler on' keeps blinking now even if the boiler thermostat is turned down to 0.

Sorry for being thick here but can someone please confirm it is the PCB problem. If yes then what the PCB stands for and can I get from market and change myself or do I need to call an Engineer. Also how much cost I am looking at.

Thanks and regards,
Dan

Dan Vittori said:
Hi

I have exactly the same problem with my boiler. The fan starts for 1-2 second, the pilot light tries to come on and then the fan gets switched off and tries to start again and the cycle continues.

The problem started last weekend. I took off the main cover and the boiler started working again. I replaced the main cover back after 2 days. It was working fine till today morning and now has started giving the same trouble. The other thing is that the first light showing 'boiler on' keeps blinking now even if the boiler thermostat is turned down to 0.

Sorry for being thick here but can someone please confirm it is the PCB problem. If yes then what the PCB stands for and can I get from market and change myself or do I need to call an Engineer. Also how much cost I am looking at.

Thanks and regards,
Dan

PCB stands for printed circuit board and is the main circuit board in a boiler. I'd advise you contact heateam which is part of baxi and have it replaced by them, do you have same boiler as original poster? I think they do fixed price repairs :?:

If not baxi, any decent engineer can replace it for you. Best not to tell them it's the pcb so he comes to same conclusion. That way you know he can mend boilers and is not a glorified parts changer who'll charge hundreds cos he hasn't a clue!

Sponsored Links
adwt2004 said:
PCB stands for printed circuit board and is the main circuit board in a boiler. I'd advise you contact heateam which is part of baxi and have it replaced by them, do you have same boiler as original poster? I think they do fixed price repairs :?:

If not baxi, any decent engineer can replace it for you. Best not to tell them it's the pcb so he comes to same conclusion. That way you know he can mend boilers and is not a glorified parts changer who'll charge hundreds cos he hasn't a clue!

Many thanks for a quick reply. My boiler is BAXI Solo 2 40 PF. I did a bit of internet search after posting here and have even found out the instructions on a website on how to change the PCB.

Is it certain that it is the PCB? If yes then I think I will be able to change it (I am an engineer myself but obviously not in this field). Any suggestions?

Regards,
Dan

Check the voltage to the fan, if it keeps dropping and if there is no damage to the wiring loom and if the external controls are consistently calling for heat then you can be reasonably sure that it is the PCB.

EliteHeat said:
Check the voltage to the fan, if it keeps dropping and if there is no damage to the wiring loom and if the external controls are consistently calling for heat then you can be reasonably sure that it is the PCB.

That just about covers it.

Many thanks for your replies but can you please explain how to do these checks. Sorry for being so thick but I have no clue how to check this voltage to the fan. The fan is totally concealed inside the boiler unit.

I had a good look at the wirings and these seem alright and the room thermostat and the honeywell timer are also looking alright.

Thanks.
Dan

Many thanks for your replies but can you please explain how to do these checks. Sorry for being so thick but I have no clue how to check this voltage to the fan. The fan is totally concealed inside the boiler unit.

Many thanks for a quick reply. My boiler is BAXI Solo 2 40 PF. I did a bit of internet search after posting here and have even found out the instructions on a website on how to change the PCB.

Is it certain that it is the PCB? If yes then I think I will be able to change it (I am an engineer myself but obviously not in this field). Any suggestions?

I suggest you get a competent person in. If a very basic task of checking power to a boiler part is beyond you, then even the most basics of electrics are beyond you....AND your planning on replacing the PCB yourself.

What engineering are you in exactly?

Im not 'having a go', but even this simple task (for a heating engineer) seems beyound your capabilities.

David

I have bitten the bullet and ordered an exchange PCB, £45.00 delivered next working day. comes with 12 month warranty so should be OK! On Monday I'll post the results after the part is installed. Thanks for the help so far.

Ignore the lights. Baxi solo will let lights come on even if there is a fan/pressure sensor fault. Check the tubes from the fan assembly to the pressure sensor. Check the 90 degree connector that connects tube to pressure sensor. Known to crack. Check fan venturi is clear, blow through with compressor.

if boiler works with main cover off check fan venturi is clear and all connecting tubes to the pressure sensing vale for splits etc

Hurrar, The £40.00 PCB did the job! It took a while to get acess to the boiler but fitted the board and bingo it worked first time. Old board (exchange) returned in post everyone happy. Thanks for the advice and help etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back