Warmup Underfloor Heating Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to connect my warmup underfloor heating, I have the themostat installed and connected to the heating cable and from the thermostat wiring goes into the loft. I did it this way as there was already t&e wiring from under the floor to the thermostat location which was previusly used for a fan heater, now disconnected.

Problem is in the loft the only mains power source is a double 13 amp socket which is spurred from the ring main downstairs. Can I simply connect the thermostat via a JB to a 13 amp plug and plug it in or am I being really stupid? Do I need to spur into the ring main from somewhere else?

Sponsored Links
I have a similar product and believe it needs to be connected via its own circuit breaker, not via your sockets.

The normal questions are:
Rating of heating element/s you are trying to connect?
Cable size / protection device for circuit you want to connect it to?
Any manufacturers instructions?

Sponsored Links
You should follow the mfrs instructions. Having installed Warmup, you need RCD protection first off.

You also need the controller to be accessible. This isn't going in the loft, is it??

Do you mean you have broken into the thermostat cable and extended it with T & E?? Is that OK as per the instructions?

If in doubt RING THE MANUFACTURER!

Thanks for the replies, it's a 400 watt heater, 1.7 amps and must have an RCD. The house fuse box has an RCD. The thermostat is installed on the landing outside the bathroom and I connected the thermostat using T&E to the heating element. Then there's T&E from the thermostat up into the loft.

I have discovered mains power in the loft for the central heating pump, would it be best to spur from this with a 30amp JB. I assume spurring into the lighting circuit is a no-no.

the central heating pump will not be a permant feed, only on call, so this aint much good tya.

I never go this far as a test shows some problem with the heater element. It was working OK during and just after tiling, now when I connect up directly to the mains (thermostat not wired at this point) using a standard plug - which is Warmups' recommended way of testing the heater - it trips out the house fuse box. Warmup will send an engineer but not until April!

Anyone any ideas meantime?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back